Thread: 50th Anniversary of Six Kilos

Sorry, got a lot of things going on. At least in my time zone, it's still March 12th.

Happy 50th "Six Kilos" - I actually rewatched this one today and Mr. Mike's episode review is spot on.

The print, even on Amazon Digital, is washed out and it has a weird overall effect to the look. It is also a "meh" episode. It certainly had a lot of potential because the premise had a lot to offer. An unknown person pulling the strings of these individuals hired to rip off six kilograms of heroin. The finale was kind of anti-climatic because I believe they were trying to create tension but failed in the execution.

On top of everything else, they couldn't even figure what island they were supposed to be on. Various characters told us they were on the Big Island when they were obviously on Oahu - up to and including a Five-O car driving up to the boat dock! It still makes me chuckle but I have found funnier stuff through the series.

Season 1 is almost complete! I think we have one more week to go and all of Season 1 will be 50 years old, not counting "Cocoon" being split in two one-hour parts.

Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    Sorry, got a lot of things going on. At least in my time zone, it's still March 12th.

Happy 50th "Six Kilos" - I actually rewatched this one today and Mr. Mike's episode review is spot on.

The print, even on Amazon Digital, is washed out and it has a weird overall effect to the look. It is also a "meh" episode. It certainly had a lot of potential because the premise had a lot to offer. An unknown person pulling the strings of these individuals hired to rip off six kilograms of heroin. The finale was kind of anti-climatic because I believe they were trying to create tension but failed in the execution.

On top of everything else, they couldn't even figure what island they were supposed to be on. Various characters told us they were on the Big Island when they were obviously on Oahu - up to and including a Five-O car driving up to the boat dock! It still makes me chuckle but I have found funnier stuff through the series.

Season 1 is almost complete! I think we have one more week to go and all of Season 1 will be 50 years old, not counting "Cocoon" being split in two one-hour parts.
    I wonder how many non-Oahu scenes actually took place on Oahu.

I always suspected that a lot of it was really filmed in Oahu, but I don't know Hawaii well enough to be sure.

Of course, new Five-Zero films EVERYTHING in Hawaii, and it's laughable how obvious it is sometimes when things in "other states" are simply Hawaii with snow CGI'd into the scene.

That was my problem for the very start of the reboot! They obviously Filmed in Hawaii but the action was supposed to be taking place in North Korea! Zero effort to try to make it look like it was supposed to be in the right place!
    Last edited by Bobbi; 03-13-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: It didn't work like I wanted

Unlike the other episodes, I suspect CBS DVD couldn’t find the original 35mm negative for this episode, so they had to resort to using a more faded and beat-up 16mm tv print for their DVD transfer. They probably didn’t want to pour a lot of money into cleaning up an already-crappy print, so they went with it as-is for the dvd and digital releases.

MANNIX had a similar issue with a couple of episodes in seasons 7 and 8 that had a similar beat-up look to “Six Kilos” on dvd.

Thread Information