Thread: MANNIX Appreciation Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Any other MANNIX fans here in the forum? It’s likely my next favorite classic cop/detective series, with H5O being my favorite of course!

It was never syndicated anywhere where I lived, whereas H5O was on cable superstation WOR in the mid-80s when I discovered that show. I have vague memories of seeing MANNIX on CBS as a small child when my parents watched it in the early 70s, but otherwise I didn’t start watching it until the DVD releases starting around 2008 when I began purchasing them on a blind buy, and I instantly fell in love with the series and collected all 8 seasons.

Like H5O, my main reason for enjoying the series is the cast, namely Mike “Touch” Connors, who is instantly likable. Additionally, the music scores are well done, the plots are generally tight, compelling mysteries, and the guest stars are always top-notch (most of whom appeared on H5O at some point). The location scenery and action sequences were well-done, too. The gorgeous remastering on the DVD’s certainly helps as well.

I am in the process of completing a re-watch of the series, and it holds up well. Unlike H5O, the quality never really dropped off much at the end of the series, though it did have a shaky start during the first season when Mannix was employed by a large detective agency that relied on computers (this season was omitted from syndication, along with season 8 and a portion of season 7).

Hopefully there’s a few other fans here who will chime in with their thoughts!

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    When I was using a different software program for the forum on my site, there was some discussion of Mannix, which I archived here:

http://www.fiveohomepage.com/phpBB-a...-30-mannix.htm

Good stuff, Mike....thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    I am in the process of completing a re-watch of the series, and it holds up well. Unlike H5O, the quality never really dropped off much at the end of the series, though it did have a shaky start during the first season when Mannix was employed by a large detective agency that relied on computers (this season was omitted from syndication, along with season 8 and a portion of season 7).

Hopefully there’s a few other fans here who will chime in with their thoughts!
    Mannix didn't make it as far as Hawaii Five-O did in seasons, being canceled at the end of 8 years. Mannix was renewed for a ninth season. However, ABC got the rights to air the reruns of Mannix and CBS felt they might lose viewers who will switch over to ABC to watch the reruns instead of new episodes, so they pulled the plug. Hawaii 5-O was not losing steam in Season 8. That started to happen in Season 9. Had Mannix stayed on the air longer, we would have also seen a change in the quality of the scripts.

In the late 70s, the networks also dialed back on-screen violence on a number of their shows, and this is pretty evident with H5O in the last few seasons. Had MANNIX continued a few more seasons, it would have become subject to that well....though Joe’s poor noggin might be better off for it.

Thread Information