Thread: R&R&R

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    Ringfire always used to be annoyed because I only gave this episode 2 stars, but that is all it deserves, if that.

The story line is stupid, because Ralston, the bad guy, has some kind of superpowers.

He gets a Section 8 in Colorado (mentally unfit, kicked out of the service) two months before, but then he comes (back?) to Hawaii and somehow manages to figure out when people are coming there on R&R from his former platoon, so he can knock off their wives who are also going to be there. And he manages to steal a car from the army base to help him impersonate a "welcoming committee." This doesn't make any sense. Ralston seems kind of dense aside from his personality problems which produced the Section 8. Having been turned down by the Army to join OCS (Officer Candidate School), he tries to join the Marines using a different name, and they quickly figure out that he is not who he says he is.

The end of the show is stupid. The woman whose husband died in action and who just missed this news before Ralston spoofed her into coming back to Hawaii is on a plane, along with Colonel Hart from the investigative branch of the Army, who is supposed to be taking care of her until she can return on the next flight.

Ralston can somehow come on to the plane, but surely Hart would recognize him and do something about this! Rather than just kill the woman, Ralston takes her hostage because McGarrett, being clever, returns to the plane and comes back into it, realizing that something is screwy. (I think Ralston was surprised by McGarrett.) As well, instead of stabbing Hart to death, he seems to just knock him out or something. It would be pretty obvious if Ralston came into the plane via the only stairway that something was wrong!!

DUH!

I have to agree Mr. Mike - Ralston seems to have super powers. He can magically get on post and steal an Army car while trying to enlist in the Marines. Or know exactly what these wives look like! I get buddies show photos to each other, but he zeroed in on those select few in what would be a short time because he was transferred out of the unit shortly after the incident/battle he was awarded for. Weird!

Also, the whole airplane on the tarmac makes no sense. It would be more likely to bring her into the terminal. If the undercover cop could get on in a stewardess uniform, surely they could have done the reverse for the wife. But yeah, no way Colonel Hart should have survived the episode.

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    I finished my mega-anal-ysis of R&R&R ... it took a while. I was seriously thinking about "does this episode really deserve more than 2 stars," but could not bring myself to grant this. Hopefully my review will explain why:

http://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log4.htm#96

Part of the problem is, there are a lot of questions about the episode which cannot be easily answered because it would require the perspective of someone who was around when it was originally broadcast, almost 50 years ago. A lot of what I thought about the show is from "today's perspective."

Noticed that this episode has a copyright date of 71 vs 72. Its CBS production number is also earlier than the previous episodes. I realize that episodes are not aired in the order that they are filmed but I wonder if there was a reason R&R&R was pushed to end of season 4 or another episode broadcast earlier. May be CBS just felt like it.

Just found Mr. Mike's production order listing so never mind...

I have to agree with Ringfire. R&R&R would easily be 3 stars or higher for me. I think there's some discrepancy on Ralston not receiving an opportunity for OCS. Could be he was angry and frustrated by not getting a chance at OCS and acted out. Shooting out the lights etc. They transferred him out. Throughout the episode, Ralston demonstrated plenty of creativity and intelligence. Stealing the Military car, creating the Officer's Wife tour for Mrs. Nichols, presenting himself in uniform as a soldier, obtaining information when the men would be returning to Hawaii from R&R&R etc. They talked about his Section VIII but he appeared a very organized type killer. Doc even remarked that the perpetrator was cool under fire. Wiping off the blade. Ralston knew the picture of the lady Mrs. Carter I believe. It went around the world remember. He realized the undercover cop was not Mrs. Carter. McGarrett realized this when he quickly went back to the airport. I think Colonel Hart could have done a better job as Ralston had him overmatched or surprised him. I like when Mrs. Carter wrapped McG's injured bayonetted hand. She snapped back from surviving the incident. JC

Thread Information