Thread: Going into season 10, will the 'banter' between Danno and McGarrett continue?

As a once-fan of the McGarrett-Danno banter, I am now left wondering how much more of this we will have to endure. The subject of conversation, AKA the 'carguments' (which have evolved over the years to out-of-the-car-guments, also) between the two main characters of the H50 reboot has always been a 'marmite' situation- you either loved it or you hated it. It seems nowadays, it has worn so thin that most people just hate it, myself included. I don't know at what point the writers and showrunners decided that Danny would forever be a grumpy old man, but it seems they are resigned to having him constantly bitch and moan at McGarrett and whoever else that'll listen (and some that don't, which doesn't stop him.)

I watched the Season 9 finale shortly after it aired on some site that uploaded a crappy quality copy, excited to see what kind of 'cliffhanger' Pete Lenkov had in store for us (all I will say on that one is PL once again created a hype for something that could be seen a mile off and was nothing like the kind of exciting cliffhanger that would leave us 'breathless', as he described it. Nothing like the distant Season 1 finale, which was the kind of gripping storytelling and kind of cliffhanger that had me excited to see what would come next.) Anyway, the beginning of the season 9 finale really hammered home to me what kind of relationship these two characters now have. Danny's comments are mean-spirited and not even slightly amusing anymore, like the writers have just given up on attempting to add humour into the conversations and instead leave me wondering if these two are really even supposed to be 'friends' anymore. Personally I doubt I could deal with Danno's kind of negativity and whiny voice constantly nagging at me and undermining me, especially now that his redeeming quality of humour seems to have been stomped out too.

Really, I feel we could do without this next season. Anybody else have thoughts on this? Maybe amp up the case of the week story-telling instead, because the focus has really been stretched out to the way too many characters that this show now has. The action and the cases are becoming stale and predictable, a casualty of having over 200 episodes, I guess. All I know is, if they continue the way they are, that season 10 really will be the last, despite PL's desire that the show will continue "for many years to come". Although on the bright side, Alex O'Loughlin has been brought onto season 10 as a writer, according to Pete Lenkovs Instagram story last week, so there is hope that with his experience with playing McGarrett for almost 10 years, maybe his insight into his own and other characters will be enough to rectify the character flaws, or at least make the show more entertaining to watch. Not necessarily with humour, but just with better writing, less complaining from Danno, and more enticing storylines. What does anybody else want to see?

BTW, thank you for the warm welcome, it's nice to be here commenting on shows with others. Despite being 23 and therefore not around during the airing of the original H5O, I have since gone back to watch it, as I am and have always been a big fan of the cop and crime genres, enjoying classics alongside H5O such as Starsky and Hutch, Magnum PI, CHIP's, The A-Team, Miami Vice, even Knight Rider. Look forward to seeing everybody's posts! Until next time
    Mazzii

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    This is an excellent posting, and begs the question -- which of the various plot threads have worn out their welcome (in addition to the stupid "guments").

I asked some of my pals about this. I suggested the restaurant (probably the worst example) and McGarrett's mother. In addition to the "McDanno" baloney you mention above, they mentioned Danny's parents, Tani's brother, anything to do with Gabriel (Chin's villainous brother-in-law), Wo Fat, Kono/Adam soap opera, and oft-missing-in-action Governor of Hawaii.

I told one of these people "be careful, you are moving in the direction of 'every thread on the show has worn out its welcome'!!"

Here is an interesting article relating to this thread:

https://en.businesstimes.cn/articles...es-regular.htm

Hi, welcome to the site. I hope you stick around and make other postings.

While I don't hate Danno as much as Mike and some other Five-Zero viewers, I admit that the carguments have gotten stale and annoying.

Unfortunately, the writers just don't seem particularly good at reading the room (aka the viewing audience), despite a plethora of review sites and social media comments.

Look how long the restaurant dragged on, before they finally "sold" it and put the story to bed. What was once conceived as a way to write Danno out of the show if Scott Caan chose not to renew became an annoying and universally hated ongoing story. For some reason, the writers and producers were the last to figure this out, and we had to endure tons of lame restaurant crap until it was finally ended.

This show would benefit from some new energy, new ideas, and new directions. I'm not even talking about anything radical. They did a great episode in Season 9 (in somewhat "Miami Vice" style), where Five-Zero chases down a gang of deadly bank robbers, one of whom is a sympathetic character with a connection to Junior. Almost everything about this episode was well done, and they spent the entire time on the plot, rather than carguments or time wasting Ohana nonsense.

I would love to see more of that sort of innovation -- staying true to the show and its characters, but with well drawn and intense storylines.

Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Here is an interesting article relating to this thread:

https://en.businesstimes.cn/articles...es-regular.htm
    I hope this isn't true.

Five-Zero mostly centers around McGarrett, just as original Five-O did.

While we can occasionally have a diversion from that, a season with a reduced presence of McGarrett would not be very interesting, and I think that would make the 10th season its last.

This would also disappoint a lot of the female viewers of the show, many of whom partially watch because they think Alex O'Loughlin is good looking.

Originally Posted by Todd View Post

I hope this isn't true.

Five-Zero mostly centers around McGarrett, just as original Five-O did.

While we can occasionally have a diversion from that, a season with a reduced presence of McGarrett would not be very interesting, and I think that would make the 10th season its last.

This would also disappoint a lot of the female viewers of the show, many of whom partially watch because they think Alex O'Loughlin is good looking.
    Is it my imagination or are there a number of red flags surrounding Five-0? It was renewed late (at least in my mind) for one, there is speculation O'Loughlin is pulling back and there is a time slot change. To me, this adds up to a possible last season. There's certainly turmoil going on somewhere, otherwise I don't believe we would be hearing about the cast as much. I could be wrong. I know the time slot change is mostly to move the Magnum reboot to Fridays.

I think moving Five-0 to the 8pm slot is going to be challenging because they seem to be rougher than what 8pm has been traditionally known for. Again, it could just be me - any insight fellas?

It's 8 p.m., but 7 p.m. in the Central time zone!!

Exactly!!! It'll be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.

Thread Information