I think what would have been cool about this 1997 show was that it would have combined both a new group of Five-O guys and the old ones we got to originally love.

The heavy lifting would have been done by the new, younger group, who were officially in Five-O. However, they probably would have been able to write in cameos for the various older guys from the orginal series, all of whom would still be playing the same characters.

I thought they did this pretty well in the pilot. The plot and the action were dominated by the new stars, but we got to see enough of the old ones to feel their presence. Also, I thought the former FBI, new Five-O head's attitude toward the old guys was well presented -- he was skeptical about their ability to contribute because of their age, but also developed a respect for them as the episode went on.

Anyway, as I said, this pilot vastly exceeded my expectations. I also enjoyed seeing some new Five-O content in the same universe as the original show, featuring a lot of the same characters. I assumed I would never get to see that again. It was almost like finding a lost episode.