Thread: Just Lucky, I Guess turns 50!

I know I'm a day late but I have a really good excuse! I was recovering from being really sick on Monday. Anyway, October 15th "Just Lucky, I Guess" turned 50.

There is a bunch I liked about this episode even with its flaws. To get the real gist, read Mr. Mike's excellent review: http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log2.htm#27 because he does a really good job of telling things like they are.

The good: John Randolph and Ann Helm. I especially liked her in this episode because she's just as sassy as she was in her Season 1 appearance in "By The Numbers". Only this time, she's a policewoman named Joyce going undercover to bust Charlie Bombay (Albert Paulsen) who is one nasty character. John Randolph is a sympathetic character who got in over his head and probably under normal circumstances wouldn't be caught with a hooker (Angela played by Elaine Joyce), much less one "who was 18". I know several have commented about his comeback about her looking 25 because Elaine Joyce WAS 25 at the time.

Also the good: The plot device of having the heroin stuffed into a plush doll is funny, especially when Danno tosses the doll to McGarrett in the office. It was used in "The Untouchables" episode "Death for Sale" where a young gangster (James MacArthur in a bad guy role!) stuffed opium into toys for mass shipments out. Mr. Mike also mentions the film "Wait Until Dark" where this plot device was also used.

The bad: Several plot holes (covered in the aforementioned review) including how did Angela get the heroin? How did Bombay know she had it? This is actually the bigger problem in my opinion, because how would he know if she got it from someone else to push? What's with the all-knowing waiter at the Ilikai? I get he would recognize McGarrett and Danno, but how would he know who Sloane (John Randolph's character) is? And during the finale, why didn't they bust Bombay when he grabbed the bag from Joyce? McGarrett and Danno couldn't have been THAT far away and the drugs were in his possession at that point! I also agree with Mr. Mike a defense attorney worth their salt would be able to get the charges dropped because the doll WASN'T in his possession when he was arrested AND the shenanigans in the office with multiple witnesses including Danno! What a position to put your second in command into! Yikes!

Also the bad: McGarrett's nattering on about stuff. Not only is it preachy, it's downright condescending (I think that's the word I'm after). Poor Sloane is backed into a corner so much by McGarrett, I think I would side with him NOT cooperating! If McGarrett had taken a more even-handed approach, he would have received the results he wanted sooner.

The indifferent: What is the deal with Sloane wanting to drive when he's obviously drunk!? The drunk driving laws have evolved greatly in the last 50 years but still, this was CRAZY!! (This can be considered "Also bad")

When it's all said and done, Bombay is arrested and Sloane, I assume, makes peace with himself and his family. Either way, Happy 50th!

Excellent reviews by all - Mr. Mike, Bobbi, and Todd. One of my favorite episodes I think because my heart goes out so much to the Sloane character. I have sort of the same feelings when I watch "One Born Every Minute" where these older guys get taken by swindle (recall one guy commits suicide in that episode!).

Originally Posted by barnzoboy View Post
    Excellent reviews by all - Mr. Mike, Bobbi, and Todd. One of my favorite episodes I think because my heart goes out so much to the Sloane character. I have sort of the same feelings when I watch "One Born Every Minute" where these older guys get taken by swindle (recall one guy commits suicide in that episode!).
    Hard to feel as sorry for the "One Born Every Minute" victims because they're all cheating on their wives -- while on vacation with their wives in Honolulu!

Started out as an interesting episode but went really downhill in the 4th act. Not only plot-wise but we can tell it's not Paulsen leaping from the bridge overpass.

Thread Information