Thread: Then and Now Photos

As I watch the episodes on DVD I have been pausing the DVD and taking photos of the exterior locations they visit during episodes. I then try to find those locations on Google Maps. I can find about 60%-80% of the ones I try. I use the background of the mountains for a lot of shots that don't offer addresses or obvious landmarks. Sometimes I get lucky and there are addresses shown during the episode. And sometimes they blurt out the intersections, which are sometimes right and sometimes wrong. Some of the shots are hard to get because there are now high-rises blocking the view or they've completely removed the buildings altogether. Here are some I've found. Enjoy!

These two photos are of the Makaha Resort from Season 2, episode 25. I suspect when they did the episode they didn't have an aerial shot of the resort so they used a rendering of the resort that was drawn by architects and planners for the actual resort. It looks like they never finished the resort as planned 50 years ago since some of what is in the original drawing doesn't show in Google Maps. For example, some roads are missing and several buildings on the right side were never built.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Here is a view of Honolulu from H50 02-26 And a Time to Die...

Then and Now

H50 02-26 And a Time to Die... - Honolulu Kahanamoku Lagoon

Then and Now

H50 03-05 The Guarnerius Caper - 12th & Harding Honolulu

H50 03-05 The Guarnerius Caper - Kanaina & Monsarrat Honolulu

H50 03-09 The Late John Louisiana - 1550 Rycroft Honolulu

H50 03-09 The Late John Louisiana - Kamehame Dr Honolulu

H50 Opening Credits - Ala Moana Blvd Honolulu

H50 Opening Credits - Ala Wai Boat Harbor Honolulu

H50 Opening Credits - Aloha Tower Honolulu

H50 Opening Credits - Kalakaua Ave Honolulu

H50 Opening Credits - Outrigger Reef Beach Resort Honolulu

H50 Opening Credits - The Ilikai Honolulu

Thanks for this!

Very interesting!

I notice that the Honolulu shoreline is a lot more built up with high rises now.

Interesting how in your shot of "H50 03-05 The Guarnerius Caper - 12th & Harding Honolulu", the right side of the street is virtually unchanged in the 50 years since, whereas the left side looks completely different.

I agree, this is pretty fun to look at these photos. I know watching the early seasons of Five-O I can't help but laugh because the beaches are just not that open anymore!

More then and now - H5O 03 11 - IBM Building
    Last edited by addemup; 01-25-2022 at 12:18 AM.

H50 10 08 Deadly Doubles - Magic Island, Honolulu
    Last edited by addemup; 01-25-2022 at 12:27 AM.

H50 08 16 Legacy of Terror - Golfing (But not on a golf course) - This one is interesting because it appears like they're on a golf course, but there is no golf course in this particular location that is elevated as this one is. It appears they loved the view it provided so they used a park that is up on a hill. I don't know the name of the park. I don't remember if they were teeing off or hitting fairway shots, but any golfers would look at this sidehill lie and think this would be a horrible golf course to have sidehill tee boxes or fairways like this.
    Last edited by addemup; 01-25-2022 at 12:25 AM.

H50 06 21 Nightmare in Blue - 7539 Kananiana'ole Hwy - I couldn't get a good angle on Google Maps because there was a car parked exactly where I would have lined up the shot. But I was able to identify the stones they were standing in front of. That wall is the same wall and hasn't been changed at all.
    Last edited by addemup; 01-25-2022 at 12:24 AM.

Thread Information