Thread: Mysterious Asian actor

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    Who is "the mysterious Asian guy"? This actor appears in numerous episodes, but is never credited. Here are his appearances uncovered so far, let me know if you know of any others.

Singapore File (S02E09) - he is one of the guys shooting at McG at the end of the show; he is replaced by Beau Van Den Ecker who falls into a pond, then he appears later as another character who is still alive and shooting!

The Double Wall (S03E14) - he is the driver of the car behind Cowan, the guy who gets shot in the head.

No Bottles, No Cans, No People (S04E02) - when McG meets the Governor and the two of them go to see some Fed on a plane, he is there, looks like one of the Gov's bodyguards or something.

Didn't We Meet at a Murder (S04E22) - he is one of the guys who works for Kwan Hi Lim in the "carpet store."

Why Wait Till Uncle Kevin Dies (S06E08 - he is a security guard at the beginning, that's all I saw.

Anybody Can Build A Bomb (S06E12) - he's the guy who holds the gun on Danno at the airport .

Murder With a Golden Touch (S06E20) - he is a private detective at the beginning of show who gets knocked off, on screen for 4½ minutes but, as usual, no credit!!

Right Grave, Wrong Body (S07E06) - he plays a bartender.

And the Horse Jumped Over The Moon (S07E20) -- he is seen loading cargo into Ed Flanders' plane.

Name:  mysterious1.png
Views: 5496
Size:  136.3 KB Name:  mysterious2.png
Views: 5440
Size:  149.0 KB

Does he ever have lines?

He must have been a Honolulu local.

Todd - not that I've seen expect maybe in Right Grave - Wrong Body. I was sure he would have a credit as Harry Mott in Murder With a Golden Touch, but alas, no.

I wonder if he was one of the crew who filled in when needed?

The "mysterious Asian guy" is named Walter Omori. He has run a sound and karaoke shop in Honolulu for many years. Elissa helped me track him down. This is his current Facebook profile picture below (thanks to Bobbi).

Name:  WalterOmori.jpg
Views: 5235
Size:  85.7 KB

Other shows Walter is in are Nine Dragons, where he is one of Wo Fat's stooges who changes the gas line in the laboratory so it will dispense knock-out gas through the Bunsen burner line and in Woe to Wo Fat, he is seen very briefly in the radio room at Wo's hideout (pix below).

Name:  walter-wo.jpg
Views: 5221
Size:  52.1 KB

Walter is also seen in:

Journey Out of Limbo - This is the same shot as in No Bottles, he is behind the Governor

A Shallow Grave - he is a bartender who restrains John Ireland's character when he freaks out

Who Says Cops Don't Cry - he is a grocery bagger in the second supermarket that gets robbed

So far I have tracked down 18 episodes Walter appeared in. I wonder if there are more.

http://fiveohomepage.com/walteromori/

He actually had dialog in two episodes -- Nine Dragons and Right Grave, Wrong Body -- though I dunno if that is really his voice or they dubbed someone else's later. I'm sure if it was really him, he would have been credited, especially in Nine Dragons, where his part is pretty long, though not as long as Murder With A Golden Touch. If you go to the pages for those two shows mentioned above, you will see the scenes where he has dialog.

I own the script for Nine Dragons and Walter's character's name in this show (not mentioned when it was broadcast) is Jimmy Tsen. The name of the other guy with him doing monkey business below the lab is Harry Luk. These two characters had additional action in the show, meeting Wo Fat when he arrived at the airport.

By the way, McGarrett's sexist line in this show to Professor Dalton -- "You're very pretty, and I'm sure you know a lot about chemistry" -- is not in the version of the script which I have, which is the "second draft" from April 9, 1976.
    Last edited by Mr. Mike; 09-28-2020 at 05:28 AM.

I think he makes an appearance at the very beginning of S10E06 "The Ninth Step" as a guard getting out of the armored truck (he's the passenger) just as it pulls into the garage. This just before Chuck Couch's character leaves his job for good.

I know it's him based on this shot:

Name:  9th Step.jpg
Views: 4741
Size:  52.1 KB

I have tracked down Walter to 20 episodes now, including one in Anatomy of a Bribe where you only see him for a few seconds from the back (you don't even see his face) ... but I am sure that it is him!

http://fiveohomepage.com/walteromori/

Now that I am finished all episodes, I have found 22 shows where Walter appeared.

One of the last ones I discovered was in Vashon Part 2 where he is the court clerk who delivers the guilty verdict from the jury to the judge.

Sad news, Walter Omori, the "mysterious actor" has passed away. He appeared as an extra in many classic H50 episodes, ranging from season one's "The Box" to the finale, "Woe to Wo Fat." (See http://www.fiveohomepage.com/walteromori.) According to his obituary which appeared in the Star-Advertiser below, he also appeared in more than the one episode of the original Magnum, P.I. which was brought to my attention some time ago.

==========

https://obits.staradvertiser.com/202...mori-12062022/

Walter M. Omori, aged 83, passed away at home on May 25, 2022. He was born Aug 24, 1938 in Honolulu, HI and graduated Farrington HS c/o 1956.

Walter owned several popular businesses including: Walter's Sound & Musical Equip, Walter's Vinyl Disco, Walter's Karaoke, Walter's Himalayan Salt Lamps

Walter had small movie and TV roles including an extra in many of the original Hawaii 5-0 and a few of the original Magnum PI series.

Walter is survived by his wife, Robertha (Chang) Omori, son Weldon (Maria) Omori and daughter Weilynn Omori, granddaughter Yvette Lamphier and great-grand-daughter Kalea Lamphier. Brother Wallace (Gwen) Omori, sisters Marilyn (George) Osugi and Eunice (Fred) Kaneko.

Funeral service will be held at Hosoi Garden Mortuary on Thursday, August 11th at 10 a.m. Visitation at 9 a.m. Masks required.

Sad to hear about his passing

The following was posted a couple of weeks before my own posting above on June 13th which I also did on the Tiny TV Hawaii Facebook group on June 13th, but you cannot seemingly see this easily on Facebook, don't ask me why this is so.

Name:  walter from FB.jpg
Views: 3203
Size:  137.4 KB

I was in contact with Walter Omori's daughter recently, and, as a result, I have made some updates on his page on my site: https://fiveohomepage.com/walteromori/

Walter was in a special with The Captain and Tennille which was filmed in Hawaii. This show is VERY bad. It has Don Knotts as a guide of some tourists including Walter. His dialogue is cringeworthy.

I dare you to watch this show, it is on YouTube (a link is provided in the entry on my WWW page).

David Soul of Starsky and Hutch fame is in this show -- he sings!

If you spot any more episodes with Walter, please let me know (ditto for Magnum, P.I.).

Thread Information