Thread: Cry, Lie turned 50!

I knew it couldn't last, I am late - yet again!

Yesterday was the 50th Anniversary of "Cry, Lie" a jammed packed episode giving us some backstory on Chin Ho Kelly!

Mr. Mike has done an excellent review: http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log2.htm#43

A "sleazy lawyer" new to Honolulu Eddie Calhao (Martin Sheen) is out to nail Five-O by setting up Chin Ho, making it appear he's taking bribes. Calhao is finally flushed out (and shot at) by Five-O. In between the meet some of the eight kids Chin Ho has with his wife who we meet as well. While he's trying to make stuff stick to Five-O, Calhao also has eyes in taking over operations run by Karl Brohme (Larry Ronson). The bribery scheme is fairly elaborate and how it's all set up is lacking (Mr. Mike points this out).

This episode is a must-see from Season 2 and shows some hint at how good this series can be.

Happy 50th!

Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    I knew it couldn't last, I am late - yet again!

Yesterday was the 50th Anniversary of "Cry, Lie" a jammed packed episode giving us some backstory on Chin Ho Kelly!

Mr. Mike has done an excellent review: http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log2.htm#43

A "sleazy lawyer" new to Honolulu Eddie Calhao (Martin Sheen) is out to nail Five-O by setting up Chin Ho, making it appear he's taking bribes. Calhao is finally flushed out (and shot at) by Five-O. In between the meet some of the eight kids Chin Ho has with his wife who we meet as well. While he's trying to make stuff stick to Five-O, Calhao also has eyes in taking over operations run by Karl Brohme (Larry Ronson). The bribery scheme is fairly elaborate and how it's all set up is lacking (Mr. Mike points this out).

This episode is a must-see from Season 2 and shows some hint at how good this series can be.

Happy 50th!
    I agree with both you and Mike!

This was a good episode which could have been a great one if they just gave some background regarding the entire motive for the scheme. We aren't even really shown exactly what kind of business the two villains are in together, nor how framing Chin and Five-O will work to their advantage.

Mike points out that the episode likely took place in December, given the Christmas lights seen and the Christmas card advertisement in the background. However, Chin claimed that six weeks ago it was too hot to wear a wool suit "at this time of year". Hawaiian temperatures are relatively similar throughout the year, but the humidity differs, being substantially worse in the summer. Chin's alleged visit to the bank was supposedly "on the 11th", which would make it November 11th, if the episode took place in December. November is one of the cooler months in Hawaii. If Chin can't wear the wool suit in November, he should throw it away!

I also laughed at Summers flying over his desk after being shot through the window by a hitman with a shotgun. He would have slumped forward.

Martin Sheen, only 29 when the episode was filmed, looked (and was) too young to play the role of the grizzled, sleazy lawyer.

Thread Information