Thread: Breaking news on 2-28-2020

Here's the link:

https://deadline.com/2020/02/hawaii-...ale-1202870780

Any other noise heard on the Interwebs?

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    HAWAII FIVE-0, the popular Friday night crime drama, will conclude its successful 10-season run with a two-hour series finale, Friday, April 3 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. The drama, a reimagining of Leonard Freeman’s classic series, “Hawaii Five-O,” has been an outstanding performer throughout the past decade, both domestically and internationally, where it has been seen in more than 200 countries.

“It’s never easy to say goodbye to a hit franchise that carried on the legacy of the original with such distinction, while establishing its own signature style,” said Kelly Kahl, President, CBS Entertainment. “From episode one, HAWAII FIVE-0 has been a huge success for us. Thanks to the amazing talents of the producers, writers, cast and crew, it has played a key role for a decade on our schedule and helped establish our powerhouse Friday night. We cannot be prouder of its quality and longevity and are thankful for the passionate fan devotion it inspired.”

“For 10 seasons, Alex, Scott and the rest of the talented FIVE-0 cast have brought fans exciting adventures in a spectacular tropical paradise,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “We specifically want to thank Peter and the incredibly talented production team for 10 years of consistently outstanding television. The drama has been a great success for the Studio and Network, and as a global franchise for our company. We’re pleased to give it a big sendoff and that viewers will have the opportunity to say goodbye to their favorite characters as the final season wraps.”

“HAWAII FIVE-0 has been such a blessing to me and all of the people who have worked on this incredible show,” said Peter M. Lenkov, Executive Producer. “I truly learned the meaning of ‘ohana’ as the viewers embraced us and the people of Hawaii welcomed us with the privilege to film on their shores. I am forever indebted to the creative genius that was Leonard Freeman who gave us such a beautiful story to begin with. And my eternal gratitude to our cast, led by our hero Alex O’Loughlin, the writers, the production team, our CBS ohana, and most importantly YOU, the fans, who allowed us to come to work with pride and made our series such a success. Mahalo.”

“This show has been pretty much every waking moment for the last 10 years of my life,” said series star Alex O’Loughlin. “Everywhere I go on this planet, in every language, I am McGarrett to all these people. What we’ve done, what we’ve accomplished, it’s extraordinary. I can’t really put words to express my level of gratitude. I’m just glad to have been a part of this, a part of history, and I’m going to miss it. And to the fans, I don’t know how to thank you guys. Thank you for following us the way you have. I’m going to miss you. Aloha.”

With its finale, HAWAII FIVE-0 will have produced 240 episodes, maintaining a rabid, loyal fan base throughout, not only for the broadcast, but online and on social media, as well. The series, which consistently wins its time period, has been watched by almost 40 million viewers this season. In addition, the show has ranked in the top 15 or higher of broadcast dramas during its run. Also, HAWAII FIVE-0 is CBS’ most social primetime drama, generating 47 million impressions, 3.7 million engagements and 3.8 million video views, season-to-date.

HAWAII FIVE-0 premiered Monday, Sept. 20, 2010. It currently stars Alex O’Loughlin, Scott Caan, Ian Anthony Dale, Meaghan Rath, Beulah Koale, Katrina Law, Taylor Wily, Dennis Chun, Kimee Balmilero and Chi McBride. Peter M. Lenkov, David Wolkove, Matt Wheeler, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci are executive producers for CBS Television Studios.

In the two-hour finale, recurring cast members James Marsters (Victor Hesse), William Sadler (John McGarrett) and Mark Dacascos (Wo Fat) will return.

[This is the official CBS Press Release, the following paragraph was also included]

Notable guest stars over the 10-year run include: Ed Asner, Jimmy Buffett, Carol Burnett, James Caan, Joan Collins, Sean P. Diddy Combs, Randy Couture, Peter Fonda, Claire Forlani, Melanie Griffith, Kelly Hu, Michelle Hurd, Michael Imperioli, Chosen Jacobs, Nick Jonas, Christine Lahti, Robert Loggia, Ziggy Marley, Pat Monahan, Terry O’Quinn, Gavin Rossdale, Tom Sizemore, Jean Smart, Rick Springfield, Martin Starr, Frankie Valli and Max Weinberg.

Name:  mcg-bye.jpg
Views: 2655
Size:  51.5 KB

(From Twitter)

Reaction to Deadline article (first posting above) from Kool-Aid blog (https://h50koolaid.blog/2020/02/29/h...he-sea-sprays/)

[I]f you take this article at face value and, there doesn’t seem to be any reason to doubt it, all indications are that TPTB knew from very early on that this was going to be Alex’s last season. It looks like the network wanted to try to keep it going with Danny as the leader of the team and with a new partner, probably Lincoln Cole, the new character being introduced in the last two episodes.

Peter Lenkov has confirmed on Twitter that the finale script was not changed, so it was supposed to be the season finale, not the series finale. From things posted on social media, mostly on Instagram, the crew was as blindsided by this as we were, because they all thought they’d be back in July with a new direction for the show without Alex.

Now this is 100% speculation on my part. Repeat: 100% speculation on my part. It is possible that when presented with that option, Scott said no. It is possible that his answer was, if Alex was out, he was too. We all know Scott is not religiously attached to this show in the way that Alex is, so it’s not hard to imagine him saying no to doing it without him. Many people have recollections of interviews where Scott said just that years ago.

It’s also possible (again, pure speculation on my part) that the three camps of representatives, Alex’s, Scott’s and the network’s were trying to work out a compromise that would keep both Alex and Scott with the show for a new (possibly shortened) season so they could wrap things up properly. I think the finale was written to give Alex an out but also an opportunity to change his mind, if he so chose. Like he did back at the end of Season 7. When it became certain no compromise could be reached, it was decided that the best course of action would be to end it.

This is not really too hard to understand. We’ve said it a zillion times over the years. If we ever got to a point where Alex and Scott decided they’d had enough, the show would end. It’s just heartbreaking that it’s happening now, heartbreaking that we didn’t get a heads up, the time to process the news and prepare for the loss. This is exactly like that heart attack that takes down a person in the prime of his life. Totally unexpected and utterly heart wrenching.

My heart is heavy but where it goes out the most is to the lesser cast and especially to the hundreds of crew who make this show the success it is. They are the best crew in the world and they work their asses off to make this show the best it can be. These people went to work in the morning, thinking it was the last day of the season, thinking they were going to be saying their “see you soon”s and “see you in July”s. Instead, they were blindsided and saying their final farewells. Now, instead of heading off to hiatus vacations and hiatus time with their families, they will all be looking for jobs.

It is those people who I think would have made this decision by Alex so difficult. We know him so well, from all the interviews he’s given over the years. We know about his total commitment, body and soul, to the show and to all the crew who work so hard and get their livelihood from it. There is no way he made this decision lightly. My heart tells me he agonized over it. For him to admit that he couldn’t go on, no matter how much money, no matter how much down time they’d give him, knowing what it would mean for all those people he considers Ohana, must mean his physical discomfort must be more than he could continue to endure.

It breaks our hearts to let it go, but we have to respect Alex’s decision because this is about his health. If walking away is what he needs to be happy and even more importantly, to be healthy for himself, Malia and their children. he did the right thing.

This has been hanging over the show for 3 years. Alex and Scott have been on the fence about leaving during that time, and Scott had only been re-upping for half the episodes, hence the frequent absence of Danno.

The show revolved around Alex/McGarrett, though. Much like original Five-O could not continue without Jack Lord (who seemed content to do it for as long as possible), Five-Zero could not continue without Alex, who started the role much younger than Jack, and therefore has more of a career ahead of him.

I'm sure Lenkov and CBS would have continued the series for years to come if this didn't occur.

I have mixed feelings about this. Despite its flaws, I enjoyed new Five-Zero overall, and felt they even handled the replacement of Kono and Chin pretty well. At the same time, the show has run its course, and it seems that most episodes are either caught in a formulaic rut or have ridiculous premises which make me wish for the formulaic rut back!

In spite of its massive shortcomings, I too have grown to at least tolerate Five-Zero, and it is something of a bummer to see if go. I also feel it could have kept on going no matter who left.

On screen, it seemed Alex and Scott were way bored!

I probably put this response on the wrong thread, but it's all good.

I watched the ending of Friday's show (and agree with Mr. Mike's assessment as the dialogue on the horses was banal) waiting for "Blue Bloods". Anyway, based on that conversation, it struck me that they knew the ending was coming for a long time. Why they chose to announce it at the end of February rather than be straight with everyone earlier leaves me a little surprised. As Todd pointed out, this whole thing has been hanging over the series for at least three years. I don't watch it but if Ron's assessment is true, is it possible they let this show go on too long like what we saw with the original? I'm still shocked they were smart enough to pull the plug because I don't know how much longer they could go on but I've been wrong before

Thread Information