Originally Posted by mach440 View Post
Overall I think Bobbi is absolutely correct though that the BIG problem was at the top: Lenkov -- and I would include his associates Alex Kurtzman, Orosi, JJ Abrams et al and that whole group of collaborators. They've been very prominent in TV and movies over the past decade (Star Wars, Star Trek, MacGuyver, Magnum, Five-Zero, Picard) and you nailed it Bobbi: not really a single meaningful original (intelligent) idea in that entire list. Their M.O. is they seem to get the surface "look" and "feel" of the originals and "try" to pay homage to the classic versions, but stupidly substitute busy movement and "modern" appearances for intelligent thought and almost never come up with a noteworthy original idea. (If you think Five-Zero got wrecked; they've absolutely butchered Star Trek: Picard --- which my lifelong Trek-fan daughter and I were so excited to begin and now we've already quit in disgust before the 9th episode -- as Mad magazine used to say, "Bleeeeaaeeeck!")
I get it, I've heard a lot of that from various sources. What I don't get is that I actually like the Star Trek movie reboots, I really like the cast (and yes, I'm an odd duck). Now I don't know if it's because Star Trek is more flexible in its construct than the others or what. I was actually excited about Five-Zero because of the writers worked on the Star Trek movie reboots, but it all fell flat. At least to me.

I haven't watched Picard yet and you're the second one I've seen that gives it a thumbs down. I'm going to take advantage of CBS All Access giving a 30 day free trial. I think it's good to sign up through April 23rd.

Anyway, after watching "Aloha" and not to give anything away: I chalk it up as being more like "Woe To Wo Fat" than not. I don't think the fans are going to like it. I will agree with vrinda in that the ending was too pat.