Thread: Peter Lenkov on the cancxelation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cadet
    Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    Originally Posted by mach440 View Post
    Overall I think Bobbi is absolutely correct though that the BIG problem was at the top: Lenkov -- and I would include his associates Alex Kurtzman, Orosi, JJ Abrams et al and that whole group of collaborators. They've been very prominent in TV and movies over the past decade (Star Wars, Star Trek, MacGuyver, Magnum, Five-Zero, Picard) and you nailed it Bobbi: not really a single meaningful original (intelligent) idea in that entire list. Their M.O. is they seem to get the surface "look" and "feel" of the originals and "try" to pay homage to the classic versions, but stupidly substitute busy movement and "modern" appearances for intelligent thought and almost never come up with a noteworthy original idea. (If you think Five-Zero got wrecked; they've absolutely butchered Star Trek: Picard --- which my lifelong Trek-fan daughter and I were so excited to begin and now we've already quit in disgust before the 9th episode -- as Mad magazine used to say, "Bleeeeaaeeeck!")
    I know this is off-topic **WITH SPOILERS** but wanted to let mach440 know I gave "Star Trek: Picard" a chance but they gave me characters I couldn't care less about and there were too many of them. I did find a solution though, I only got partway through episode 4 before quitting. I skipped to the one with Riker and Deanna and then went straight to the final episode of Season 1. I will not be going back. It's sad.
    Unfortunately, "sad" is a good description, Bobbi! Neither my daughter nor I wanted to be the one to come out and say it, but we both independently came to the same conclusion as the other (and as you did). Combined with the general "downer" of this danged worldwide pandemic thing, we couldn't bring ourselves to watch any more of this negative dreck for several weeks. Finally as things now *seem* to be improving and summer-like weather has returned to SoCal, we geared up for a binge of the final several episodes last weekend.

And you're right --- it was great to see Riker, Deanna, Data and Seven again, but otherwise: way too many characters, most of whom were supremely annoying (a la, Carguments? McG's Mom?). Plus the cliched, wanna-be Star Wars-type motley band of rejects "thrown together for the big mission", idiotic plot twists leading nowhere, killing off well-loved ST-TNG characters with no purpose, a complete dismantling of any semblance of the once-noble Federation (now apparently reduced to a corrupt, inept, bigoted bureaucracy run by foul-mouthed silver-haired women of ill comportment), shockingly sudden gory and violent imagery pictured without warning ... sensing any Kurtzman & Co. patterns here?

The shame needs to be shared, however --- "Sir Patrick" is front and center among those to be blamed for this debacle. He made it very apparent in all the lead-up hype to the premiere that he was injecting lots of his personal views and politics into this project as well, resulting in a nearly complete on-screen betrayal of everything that Star Trek in general and Next Gen in particular had built up over the decades of series, movies and spin-offs. What idiots!

As an antidote to wash the bad taste away, we immediately dove back into watching our TNG season 5 DVDs --- what a breath of fresh air, and truly thoughtful, entertaining sci-fi creativity! (well, at least once they jettisoned Wesley! )
    Last edited by mach440; 04-28-2020 at 08:04 PM.

Thread Information