Thread: Can you watch this all the way through?

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    http://www.fiveohomepage.com/DiamondHead

Code Name: Diamond Head (link above), a failed Quinn Martin pilot from 1977 which stars Roy Thinnes (The Invaders) and Ian McShane (Deadwood), frequent Five-O guests France Nuyen, Don Knight and Eric Braeden with Zulu and Harry Endo. The director is Jeannot Szwarc, who did some of the best Kojak episodes! Music is by Morton Stevens, photography by Jack Whitman. This show got the treatment from Mystery Science Theater 3000, where these guys ridicule bad movies. You can see their treament of it on YouTube, which includes a "short subject" as well.

I may have seen this at the time (early 1990s).

I was a huge fan of this show in its early and middle days. I felt it took a big step downhill when creator/star Joel Hodgson left over creative differences with co-creator Jim Mallon. I didn't like it quite as much anymore. It got even worse when they made even more cast changes, getting rid of the two "mad scientists" Dr. Clayton Forrester and TV's Frank (Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff), and replaced them with a female character actor that had been involved with the series.

They remade the show in recent years with Joel Hodgson at the helm again (but not starring), but it was a pale imitation of the original. It seemed afraid to be as edgy as it was before, because today's comedy is often too focused upon not offending people. I gave up after one mostly laugh-free episode.

If I'm bored I'll try to watch this.

I'm glad you posted that - I remember seeing this recently on MST3K and saw Zulu in there quite a bit!! It is worthy of being on MST that's for sure.

Thread Information