Thread: Lenkov gets the chop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    Ringfire, I recall you have watched very few episodes of the show and have generally said bad things about it, yet you are now interested in it to the extent that you want what is really a complicated explanation of things connected to Lenkov's firing. Of course, I will be glad to provide this for you!

People don't like the character of Catherine (McGarrett's girl friend) but in many cases this is thinly disguised dislike of Michelle Borth, who plays her, because Borth got into some nasty exchanges with people on Twitter a long time ago when she was a regular on the show.

The Catherine haters mostly dislike the fact that the character walked out on McGarrett (we're talking about a >character< who was WRITTEN that way, duh!) and "broke his heart" (yawn). These people are much more supportive of the "bromantic" relationship between McGarrett and Danno which verges on being gay.

They are mad, because at the very (like VERY) end of the series (show from April 3rd of this year) as McGarrett is leaving Hawaii, perhaps forever, Catherine shows up on the same plane as him (because she has been helping him solve the final case, unknown to him and Five-Zero) and they will fly off into the sunset, blah blah blah.

The "McDanno" types would have preferred that McGarrett and Danno would have hung out together forever, especially since Danno just recovered from almost being killed. They are pissed off because it was Lenkov who wrote the story for this last show and also had to do some fancy manipulating and editing of the episode when CBS cancelled the series only weeks before. Whether Catherine was originally supposed to be in the last show, which would have led into the 11th season, I can't recall.

This WWW page will fill in more details for you:

https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...t-members-left

Though Michelle Borth wasn't part of the main cast right when Hawaii Five-0 premiered in 2010, she entered the fray in the fourth episode of Season 1 as former Navy Officer Lt. Catherine Rollins. She quickly become an on-and-off romantic foil for McGarrett, and after taking a guest role in Season 2, Hawaii Five-0 promoted Borth to a series regular for Seasons 3 and 4. Borth left the show in a regular capacity after that, but fans watched Catherine come and go for years after.

Why Did Michelle Borth Leave Hawaii Five-0?

It was revealed in 2014 that Michelle Borth would not be returning to Hawaii Five-0 in a regular capacity, and it looked for a second like Catherine Rollins wouldn't be returning at all. No specific reasons have ever been revealed for why Borth left the full-time gig on Hawaii Five-0, although it's known that her character was disliked by a section of the fandom. In any case, it's clear that the exit was partly amicable, considering Borth has returned multiple times times since Season 4 ended.

How Was Michelle Borth's Catherine Rollins Written Out of Hawaii Five-0?

Initially, Michelle Borth's Cath was written off at the end of Season 4 with the explanation that she was remaining in Afghanistan to search for the son of a man who'd previously saved her life. She returned for Kono and Adam's wedding in Season 5, while Season 6 played up her and McGarrett's inability to maintain a lasting relationship, and her returns in more recent seasons have been for one-off missions.

Here is a time frame of Borth's appearances after she "left" the show:

S05E08 - Catherine appears in a flashback (I think)
    S05E25 - Catherine has left the navy, she returns to Hawaii to attend the wedding of Adam and Kono, among other things
    S06E01 - Continuation of the above which was a season-ending cliffhanger, Catherine is still around in Hawaii
    S06E02 - She is in this one too (I think), don't ask me for details, I don't mention her in my review for some reason
    S06E03 - McGarrett is almost about to marry Catherine, but she leaves town for Afghanistan
    S07E07 - Cath returns to Hawaii, to tell McGarrett his mother is in trouble in Morocco, they go and rescue her
    S08E20 - Catherine has a full time job with the CIA now, she comes back to Hawaii to investigate some kind of terrorist connection. She and McGarrett share a lot of screen time
    S09E11 - Catherine returns to Hawaii again to help McGarrett with an overseas mission. Reviews of this on IMDb are very negative, one ironically suggested "the relationship angle between her and McGarrett needs to be put to bed."
    S10E22 - Catherine is on the same plane as McGarrett when he leaves Hawaii (series finale)
    Last edited by Mr. Mike; 07-08-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Thread Information