Thread: The Second Shot is 50!

S03E03 - The Second Shot aired 50 years ago tonight.

The episode follows a convoluted plot to assassinate Dr. Gregorios Lemira (John Marley), an exiled Greek leader currently living in Hawaii. The assassin is played by Eric Braeden who poses as "Klaus Marburg" a journalist working for an influential West German magazine. Unfortunately, the real Marburg is probably long dead. The imposter works with three other men including the shooter (Ronald Kent) who snipes "Marburg" at Honolulu Airport upon the latter's arrival.

Dr. Lemira is security conscious but makes Five-O's job something of a living hell because he doesn't necessarily comply with McGarrett's varied requests. This includes bringing "Marburg" to his estate because Dr. Lemira wants to help "Marburg" with his recovery. In the meantime, they have discussions and debates about political banalities (I know these are hard to write because it's pretty much BS but it has to sound convincing). Anyway, the plot boils down to the imposter Marburg's mission is to assassinate Dr. Lemira. At the last minute he fails, thanks to McGarrett fatally shooting Marburg when he and Danno track the pair to a secluded part of a beach.

Mr. Mike, as usual, completed a wonderful review of the episode. http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log3.htm#51

Once again, not one of my favorites but it's not a total failure. It gives us some international flavor (Europe this time, not Asia) and we get to see parts of the Anderson Estate again. Five-O pieces together events and finally figures out just what the heck is going on. One of the memorable scenes to me is actually at the hospital when McGarrett and Danno reenact the incident where McGarrett killed the first shooter ("Dark Man" in the credits). This is the point where McGarrett figures out "Marburg" is part of the plot. There's been something amiss the whole time and it's cool to watch the team put it together.

Happy 50th "The Second Shot"

One of my favorites! It had a good guest cast, clever plot, good “deduction” scenes, great locations, and another fantastic Richard Shores score.

Thread Information