S03E04, Time And Memories aired 50 years ago tonight.

Here's another episode where we see McGarrett has something of a life, or at least he used to. It takes form as an ex-girlfriend Cathy Wallis (Diana Muldaur). Problem is she is currently in Honolulu with her husband Frank who she finds dead in their rented beach house. They're not there alone, as Frank's daughter Joan (Kathy Cannon) has tagged along.

Things become complicated as evidence piles up against Cathy making her the prime suspect in Frank's murder. He was bashed in the head multiple times with Cathy's hair dryer. Cathy isn't the only the suspect as Five-O discovers a buddy, Roswell Borden (Edward Andrews) had motive because Frank was about to rip Borden's company out from under him. However, the real culprit is Arthur Dixon (Martin Sheen) who is Joan's boyfriend/fiancee but Frank was against their marriage.

How Dixon is caught is weird and I still scratch my head at it and I worked in communications during my active Air Force years. Mr. Mike does a good job tackling the issue in his excellent review: http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log3.htm#52

There is a lot about this episode I like, one of which is the on location filming at the USS Arizona Memorial. In the story, Cathy's much older brother was on board the ship when it was hit. It fit and made sense with her connection to Hawaii.

Another outstanding scene is when Danno suggests to McGarrett that he allow his team to take the lead on the case due to McGarrett's involvement with Cathy. Jack Lord has the expression of a viper about to strike as he nearly leaps over the desk! It was creepy, intense and absolutely priceless. Needless to say, Danno backs down right away. It gives a great insight into the team dynamics and specifically, the dynamic between McGarrett and Danno. Too bad we couldn't see more of this type of dynamic in the reboot (just sayin'). Proof the two shows are as different as apples and oranges. (Ok, enough of my soapbox).

While again, not one of my favorites but I could watch this one without a second thought. It's a nice trip down memory lane.

Happy 50th "Time And Memories"!