Thread: 50th Anniversary - "Force Of Waves"

Tonight, S03E07 "Force Of Waves" aired.

The episode literally opens with a bang after McGarrett meets Clark Sloan (Thomas Norton) and they're on the way out to Sloan's yacht. The tender explodes killing Sloan and injuring McGarrett. The only reason McGarrett survives is thanks to Cal Anderson (John Vernon) who jumps in to pull McGarrett from the water.

Because McGarrett has a concussion and a broken hand, Danno has to take the lead in the investigation to figure out who killed Sloan. The prime suspects are Sloan's young wife Maria (Linda Marsh), her ex-husband Neal (James Daris) and her slimy lawyer Fairbirne (Dewey Martin). Fairbirne is the target of many of Danno's sarcastic remarks throughout the episode, which I find hilarious.

The episode deals with mental health in the way "Killer Bee" does. Turns out, Cal is responsible for Sloan's death and for two others: one in Maui and the other in Singapore. These related cases are a bit far-fetched for my liking.

Mr. Mike does a wonderful job summing up everything in his review: http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log3.htm#56

He rated it two stars and I think that's fair. It's one of those meh Five-O episodes. I could watch it again but it's not on the top of my list necessarily. However, we do see Danno taking charge and making sure McGarrett doesn't push it with his injuries. It's a good episode for Five-O team dynamics.

Happy 50th "Force Of Waves"!!

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    That link above actually goes to "The Reunion," this is the one to "Force Of Waves":

http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log3.htm#55

There is a very emotional music cue featured in this episode that I hadn’t heard in prior episodes: it plays during the extended scene near the end where McGarrett and Cal are working on the boat at night, when McGarrett gets him to confess, prior to Cal’s attack. It’s very somber, and I’m not certain who the composer is, since it’s apparently considered ‘stock’ music.

To my knowledge, it’s only used one other time, in Season 3’s “FOB Honolulu” Part 2 during Chin’s investigation.

Thank you Mr. Mike! I always try to point it to the right part of the page. Oops!

Of note in this episode, Ann McCormack plays the "ex-widow" Grace Sloan who brings her son to Hawaii for the funeral. She's the mother of Don Stroud who did a number of guest appearances on the show.

I like the Force Of Waves 🌊 episode because there are a number of suspects. Making Cal the bombing killer I think was a mistake in the episode. Cal saved McGarrett's life after the boat bombing explosion 💥 and was considered a good friend. I just didn't believe Cal as a criminal. They tried to make it a 2 personality thing. It might have made it more interesting tying the bombing to the gambling Mr. Sloan mentioned to McG. Before the boat 🚢 exploded. Cal was a kind and helpful person and his wife also was attractive and nice. Danno his usual great work stepping up when McG is hospitalized. I would probably give Force Of Waves 3 Stars ⭐⭐⭐ out of 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐. Cal is a wonderful character and the boat explosion 💥 is very intense and scary situation. Another close call for McG but he's too strong and powers through. JC

Thread Information