Thread: Clearing the Way 50 years today!

Tonight 50 years ago, CBS aired S05E05, "The Jinn Who Clears The Way".

Wo Fat (Khigh Dhiegh) has returned for one of the "half dozen" adventures to tangle with Five-O. This time, he has stolen an ICBM guidance prototype. Actually, 2 of his flunkies do the stealing. Carl Tu (Danny Kamekona)is the only one of the two who survive after breaking into a military facility. Tu shoots his accomplice and leaves him hanging on a chain-link fence. That's one way to get Five-O's attention.

Jonathan Kaye (Joe Sirola) arrives in Hawaii right now. But that's not the only angle going on. We find out a little bit about Chin Ho's family after Tu runs Chin's cousin, George (Andy Ichiki), down as part of Wo's plot. Because of this, we meet one of Chin's cousins, a woman who is uncredited, and his uncle Wo Sun Wong (C.K. Huang).

Chin's family doesn't fare well in this episode because Chin's uncle is also killed to get yet another cousin, George's brother Tom (Soon-Tek Oh), moving. Because it was Tom's father wish to be buried in China, Wo's plan is to put the device in Wong's coffin and move it deeper into China upon arrival.

However, they don't get that far. McGarrett and team finally surround Wo Fat and take him into custody. But it's not over yet as Jonathan Kaye pulls a fast one on McGarrett by snatching Wo from Five-O's clutches and make a top secret trade for a downed U-2 pilot. McGarrett is beyond livid, even slamming a book onto his desk.

Mr. Mike does a much better job than me. His review is here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log5.htm#101

This isn't one of my favorites. I'm not (gasp!) a huge fan of the escapades including Wo Fat. I know, it's sacrilege. However, this is a good episode and keeps one's interest. There's a lot of bodies left in Wo's bloody wake, as usual. It's too bad McGarrett couldn't get Wo Fat once and for all but then we wouldn't have future adventures with the master spy.

Happy 50th, "The Jinn Who Clears The Way"!!!

For the longest time I thought I was the only one who wasn’t a big fan of the Wo Fat episodes. Everyone else seemed to love them and eagerly awaited Wo’s reappearances. I started to think something was wrong with me lol.

So it’s nice to know that I’m not alone now

I guess it’s not surprising that my favorite Wo Fat episode is one where his appearance is very minimal - A Bullet for McGarrett. Which many people probably don’t even count as a true Wo Fat episode.

Thread Information