Thread: Six Kilos

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    I found a copy of a script for this show which I have posted on my site. Links to it are at the end of the review:

http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log1.htm#22

The script is very much different than the final product!

Even after many years, no one has explained to me why this show was missing from syndication packages way back when and had a certain "mystique" about it (as per a section of my review):

For some inexplicable reason, this show was like a "lost episode" when Five-O was shown in the 1990s. It was almost as legendary as "Bored She Hung Herself," the infamous banned episode from the second season. Information about "Six Kilos" was so hard to come by, Karen Rhodes' Booking Five-O doesn't even have a complete cast list for the show.

I recall that "Six Kilos" was not available in the major syndication package for the show. When Five-O was broadcast on KVOS-TV in Bellingham, WA (the station where I watched most of the episodes) it was skipped during the first showing of the first season that I saw. After the series finished (it did not go to the final two seasons), they started broadcasting again from the beginning. The series was about to be terminated at the end of the first season of this second go-around, and at the very end, "Six Kilos" was unexpectedly shown, and luckily I had my VCR running. I also got a dub of the show later which originated with KICU San Jose, which was shown around the same time.

In a 1996 Usenet posting in the group alt.fan.hawaii-five-o, Karen Rhodes wrote that Six Kilos "has, until very recently, not been shown in US syndication, though it has been shown overseas for quite some time (my own copy of it is in German). I think there was some kind of contractual dispute associated with it that precluded its being shown in the US. Apparently that has been cleared up now, or maybe there was a time limit on it. Don't know for sure. But apparently 'Six Kilos' isn't 'lost' anymore."

The quality of the print of "Six Kilos" in the DVD box set is different than the other shows, as if it it wasn't remastered to the same extent, or maybe an original print of this show did not exist. Overall, it has a washed-out quality to it. The direction by Seymour Robbie is also kind of different compared to other episodes, even those which he did in the first season: "The Box," "Up Tight" and "By the Numbers."

Fox35 in Orlando aired the entire syndication package of H5O episodes all through the late 80s and 90s into 2002, but never once aired “Six Kilos” even though they cycled through the episodes a dozen times each or more (they occasionally ran it twice per day). Odd that they were never offered “Six Kilo” but other stations were in that era.

For a time, they skipped “A Killer Grows Wings” each cycle, instead airing “Capsule Kidnapping” twice in a row due to a dubbing error at the station. I called and emailed each time until they finally got around to fixing the error. So that particular episode was elusive to me as well in the pre-DVD, VHS-recording era.

First post on your website Mr. Mike and I am blown away with the amount of Five-O information I have learned about each episode and actors and guest stars, just to name three things.

I was watching Six Kilos today and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but no, they weren’t. The uniform that Gerald S. O'Loughlin had on said MUANA Loa Refrigeration Service. It should have said Mauna Loa and I wonder how an obvious error got past them.

Thank you.

Six Kilos is a solid Episode 1 Episode. There are numerous small mistakes I've noticed after each viewing. Here's just a few of them:
    1. McG impersonating Brown. The McG would have no knowledge that a few of these criminals worked together. Luckily, they did not. McG could have been in trouble early.
    2. Meeting The Nitro Man. McG meeting the Nitro Man to receive the Nitro is an important part. He is apprehended at the hotel. The Nitro Man did not report back. I think this is a small hole in Six Kilos.
    3. The Tattoo. I'm no tattoo expert but to duplicate a tattoo that quickly...I think that would be difficult to do. We see Swanson examine the tattoo on his arm.
    4. The Airport. HFO could have just followed Brown from the airport to the Hotel. It's strange they would confront him at the locker. Say Brown had not resisted. What would have happened next?
    There are positives in Six Kilos. McG had the opportunity to go undercover and show another side. I also enjoyed Danno on his fake fishing trip taking the pictures of the criminals. They could identify who was in the group. I also thought the stealing of the Six Kilos was expertly done. As a viewer, I could feel myself aboard. The close quarters added to the suspense and claustrophobia feel. I loved when they escaped diving into the water. I would give Six Kilos 4 stars out of 6. JC

Does anyone have an opinion as to why that word was misspelled?

Originally Posted by RoyalHawaiian View Post
    If I had to take a guess, I think they were still trying to figure their way around. I don't think anyone with the production knew the Hawaiian alphabet super well, except for the locals who were cast. I also have the feeling none of the locals were really consulted on wording or spelling.

Other than that, I don't have any idea.

Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    Originally Posted by RoyalHawaiian View Post
    If I had to take a guess, I think they were still trying to figure their way around. I don't think anyone with the production knew the Hawaiian alphabet super well, except for the locals who were cast. I also have the feeling none of the locals were really consulted on wording or spelling.

Other than that, I don't have any idea.
    Yep and if you look at how they pronounced some of the Hawaiian words or street names in the early seasons (especially the first season) it’s pretty bad. Street names and words that are pretty common to us now (thanks to visiting the islands and years of watching the show as well as Magnum PI) back then were something brand new. It was all very new, uncharted territory. The production crew probably never stepped foot on the islands before that. And yes I doubt they had local consultants on the show, especially during season 1. Maybe down the line as the show became more popular and the budget grew they got some consultants onboard. But more than likely the crew became more familiarized with the islands so they started getting things more accurate. Plus keep in mind this is a TV show which doesn’t have the luxury of long shooting schedules like a movie. Things move quickly on a TV show. They need to get the finished product in the can ASAP so that it can be aired on schedule. That’s why we find so many continuity errors (like suit colors that keep changing) and other lapses when we watch the show. With season 1 they were just struggling to stay on the air and make it to season 2. It was a rough season. On-location shooting 3,000 miles away from Hollyweird, crappy mongoose-infested soundstage in Pearl City, it was all a real learning experience for everyone involved. It’s a surprise that season 1 is as strong as it is (some stellar stories and performances!!) all things considered. Things definitely settled into a comfortable groove and it became a well-oiled machine as the seasons progressed, but season 1 was definitely uncharted territory. I’m sure misspellings on a uniform were the least of their concerns. As long as they could tell a compelling story and shoot it effectively and within some kind of budget and get it on the air they were happy.

Remember they also hired locally too so a lot of the crew was local. But as you said Ringfire, things move fast and I'm sure the number one priority was to get the job done. I give them kudos for getting it as accurate as they did. If they faked it, I would think that would come through immediately and no one would have given them a second glance. The way it was, they were *trying* to be authentic and it showed.

Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    Remember they also hired locally too so a lot of the crew was local. But as you said Ringfire, things move fast and I'm sure the number one priority was to get the job done. I give them kudos for getting it as accurate as they did. If they faked it, I would think that would come through immediately and no one would have given them a second glance. The way it was, they were *trying* to be authentic and it showed.
    Well, the Hawaiian islands and its culture certainly came through loud and clear, including the casting of locals. That was there from the get-go and a major selling point of the series! That’s what ultimately convinced the suits at CBS that the high expenses of shooting on location was worth it. Any misspellings or mispronunciations didn’t matter to the folks watching on the mainland. They were just happy to be transported to the islands every week.

Thread Information