Just watched this one for the first time since the mid-1990s.

I agree with John Chergi that the episode was underrated. I haven't seen it on anyone's "top 10" or "favorites" list, but it arguably belongs there. The only real problem with the episode is that it lacks mystery. We find out very early that the lawyer did it!

The ending has a small hole, as well. McGarrett shoots Bedford in the arm, who then drops his gun and simply leans against the wall, still standing. When Banyan takes Cowan's wife hostage, and demands McGarrett drop the gun, he is suddenly shot through the window by fellow villain Wilkie, who claims that he was simply trying to save the woman. McGarrett snaps back that he killed Banyan out of necessity, to prevent him from talking. But there's one problem! What about Bedford? He's still standing in the hallway, so he could easily talk, even with Banyan dead! Oops! This plot hole could have been fixed by McGarrett killing Banyan, instead of just injuring him!

However, as Mike points out, it's possible that Wilkie saved the day simply to earn leniency from McGarrett or the court, as McGarrett barked at him, "NO DEALS!", seemingly assuming that was what Wilkie wanted.

Like Bobbi, I also liked the scene where Dr. Berman cut the tape off the gun of the sleeping Kellam. Not only was the scene suspenseful (much more suspenseful than the lame action trope of cutting wires on a bomb), but there was a sweetness to the whole thing after the doctor got control of the gun. After almost walking out, he realized that ending the hostage situation could put Kellam's life in danger from law enforcement storming the place. Instead, he simply took the gun, laid it on his desk, sat down in the room, and let Kellam sleep! That was some favor to do for a man who was possibly going to kill him, but Berman seemed to have true empathy for Kellam's situation by the end.

If I were McGarrett, I would have attempted to get a message through to Kellam that the case was close to being solved -- and that he was likely going to be cleared. It was obvious to McGarrett after not too long that it was a frame job. Why leave Kellam twisting in the wind, wondering if any progress was being made? Such a message could have put the doctor in less danger.

Richard Roat, who played Cowan, just died this August, at the age of 89. Monte Marhkam is 87 and still alive. Joan Van Ark is 79 and still alive. Mills Watson, who played Banyan, is 82 and still alive. Pretty good for four of the characters of this 1970 show to still be alive as of July 2022, and for three to still be around today!

Anyway, I give this episode 4 stars. Really enjoyed it.