Thread: RIP Sir Sean Connery!

The great Sir Sean Connery has left us at the ripe old age of 90. A true cinematic icon if there ever was one! He’s immediately what comes to mind when they say “they don’t make ‘em like that anymore”. From James Bond to Jimmy Malone to Indy’s father to Capt. Marko Ramius to John Patrick Mason his roles were legendary! Only someone like Connery could get away with playing an Irish cop or a Russian submarine captain or even a Moroccan Sheik (in The Wind and the Lion) all with the same Scottish brogue. He just had screen presence in spades and somehow you never questioned the accent. In fact you EXPECTED that accent. Anything else just wouldn’t set right. If I had to pick my one all-time favorite movie star Sir Sean would be it! And now he’s gone Of course for me his greatest role will always be Bond... James Bond.

The only other star that comes close would be Clint Eastwood who incidentally is also 90. Both were born in 1930. They don’t make ‘em like they used to. Go ahead, make my day.

The earliest Connery role I have ever seen was from 1956, when the "Jack Benny Show" was filming some episodes in London as part of a series of filmed shows in Europe and the young, unknown Connery got cast as a Rome cab driver complete with a bad Italian accent that came out as a combination Italian-Scots!

Sean was smart to just stick to his Scottish accent. It’s what made him so iconic!! I don’t even know whether he could do other accents because I’ve never heard him try one. I don’t know many Scottish actors but I can’t imagine that any of them could ever sound like Connery. He really was one of a kind! The man, the accent, the complete package.

Thread Information