Thread: Worst scene ever!

There are a lot of cringe-worthy scenes in the original Five-O but some are just over the top. What would you consider to be the original's worst scene?

I nominate the scene where Kimo and Lori are sitting in the car in a driveway eating sandwiches. In "Though The Heavens Fall" they were supposed to watch over Meredith Howell (Michael Strong) after he is released due to not being read his rights upon his arrest. While they're outside, Howell is kidnapped by the vigilantes led by Richard Slade (Robert Reed) known as "Nu Epsilon." They accomplish this by scaling a sheer cliff behind Howell's house.

I hate this scene because while Kimo and Lori abided by Howell's wishes, it shouldn't have happened. At the very least, they should have taken him into custody as a material witness. It's part of the proof that the 12th season was a season too far.

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    As I have mentioned before, I find McGarrett's remark to Dr. Dalton in Nine Dragons as in the following exchange pretty loathsome. This line is not in the script of the show which I have, which is not the final draft.

McGarrett outlines security procedures for handling the "deadly toxin" which people from the University of Hawaii are going to be studying for "important medical research."

Dr. Barbara Dalton: All very efficient, Mr. McGarrett. General Patton would have been proud of you.

McGarrett: I've always read that General Patton's main tactic was one of sudden lightning attack. Now, my position here is one of defense, doctor.

Dr. Dalton: Against Attila the Hun, Mata Hari, and the German 9th Panzer Division all rolled into one?

McGarrett: I don't know what's bothering you, but I can assure you that I don't like uniforms or guns on the campus any more than you do.

Dr. Dalton: You have a very strange way of showing it, Mr. McGarrett.

McGarrett: You're very pretty, doctor, and I'm sure you know a lot about chemistry, but let me lay out procedures for this operation, if you don't mind. My responsibility is to protect the people of this state.

Dr. Dalton: From the imaginary enemy that surrounds us all?

McGarrett: Well, for all of our sakes, let us hope that it remains imaginary, shall we?

The close of "When Does A War End?", a cringe-scene to cap a cringe-episode that is my personal pick for worst Five-O episode of them all.

McG’s “sexist” comment doesn’t bother me at all. He’s an old school guy who’s not “hip” to the women’s lib movement of the late 70s. I’m sure he firmly believes that a woman has her place in society. Plus she was egging him on and he gave her exactly what she deserved. But ultimately it was a show “of its time” before all the PC nonsense of today and that’s what gives these shows from the past their appeal. That’s why we watch them over the stuff of today. If this sort of stuff offended our fluffy sensibilities then we wouldn’t be watching them. I know people who can’t watch any old shows because virtually everything offends them. The most innocuous off-hand remark or silly joke offends them. It’s pretty scary actually. It’s like “dude, it’s just a show, relax, no one is dying here”.

For me the worst scene has to be something that I find completely grating. And that can be none other than virtually every scene with Mark Lenard in “To Hell With Babe Ruth”. Every time he opens his mouth and starts ranting it feels like nails on a chalkboard. Horrid acting and terrible characterization. I don’t even care about the Asian makeup. It’s the yelling that makes me reach for the mute button. Can’t stand that!!

In the realm of "yell-y" Five-O actors, I nominate Simon Oakland as the worst offender. He grates me to no end. I don't know if he was a product of all those terrible early B&W era westerns where everyone yells their lines, but Oakland only seems to be able to express himself by varying his decibel levels, all of which are shrill. And don't get me started on the scientist prick that must have been a fan/writer/producer favorite as they kept bringing him back.

Originally Posted by ringfire211 View Post
    McG’s “sexist” comment doesn’t bother me at all. He’s an old school guy who’s not “hip” to the women’s lib movement of the late 70s. I’m sure he firmly believes that a woman has her place in society. Plus she was egging him on and he gave her exactly what she deserved. But ultimately it was a show “of its time” before all the PC nonsense of today and that’s what gives these shows from the past their appeal. That’s why we watch them over the stuff of today. If this sort of stuff offended our fluffy sensibilities then we wouldn’t be watching them. I know people who can’t watch any old shows because virtually everything offends them. The most innocuous off-hand remark or silly joke offends them. It’s pretty scary actually. It’s like “dude, it’s just a show, relax, no one is dying here”.

For me the worst scene has to be something that I find completely grating. And that can be none other than virtually every scene with Mark Lenard in “To Hell With Babe Ruth”. Every time he opens his mouth and starts ranting it feels like nails on a chalkboard. Horrid acting and terrible characterization. I don’t even care about the Asian makeup. It’s the yelling that makes me reach for the mute button. Can’t stand that!!

I think bad acting or "yell-y" actors could be its own thread.

There are others scenes that come to mind as being if not the worst, among the worst. I thought of another one last night:

After Danno drags Kona Emery (Alan Austin) out of the surf during the bust in S11E19 A Very Personal Matter, McGarrett blows off his second in command when they realize the real "pill doctor" is Dr. Savio (Don Pomes). Not only is there the snub on McGarrett's part but the script makes Danno look like an idiot, which totally ticks me off. (Yes, I'm biased).

HaoleDW, who are you referring to as "the scientist prick that must have been a fan/writer/producer favorite as they kept bringing him back"?

You're not referring to Max, the annoying coroner on the H50 reboot, are you?

Another worst scene? S09E04 Man On Fire (should have been titled "Men On Fire", but I digress).

The ending of this episode. de Groot (Alan Fudge) and Blair (John Hillerman, later Higgins in the original Magnum, P.I.) knock over shelving units holding plutonium canisters and they roll down an incline toward McGarrett and Danno. The latter two scramble to prevent three canisters from nesting and causing a radioactive disaster per Dr. Ormsbee (Pat Hingle) who is standing near them. I believe this idea is total BS but I don't deal with plutonium on a daily basis so I have no idea. The whole thing is dumb on so many levels: the scenario not only insults the viewer's intelligence, but cheapens the characters. It's plain stupid.

No, the older cigar smoking navy scientist. Ormsbee.

Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    HaoleDW, who are you referring to as "the scientist prick that must have been a fan/writer/producer favorite as they kept bringing him back"?

You're not referring to Max, the annoying coroner on the H50 reboot, are you?

I don't think McGarrett's remark in Nine Dragons is of the nature "McGarrett is just an old-fashioned guy, he was born in the twenties, and that's just the way guys from that era thought about women." His comment in this show is just CRASS. Did McGarrett utter anything else in the series which equalled this, other than when he got PO'd at federal agents who were making him mad? McGarrett is generally a controlled guy and doesn't fly off the handle in this manner, even when someone is needling him. This comment is almost as if he said, "Professor, who did you have to sleep with to get your job?"

I think when this remark was originally heard when the show was broadcast 1976, it would have been cringeworthy then. "Political correctness" doesn't have to confine itself to the last 20 or 30 years. The film Birth of a Nation, notorious for its racist depiction of black people, including some scenes where blacks were portrayed by whites in blackface like Al Jolson, was protested by the NAACP and similar groups -- and that was in 1915! People who discuss this film have a lot of trouble dealing with its subject matter, especially since it is generally regarded as a classic which shows the power of cinema -- as one reviewer said in 2013, "The worst thing about 'Birth of a Nation' is how good it is."

There are four episodes where McGarrett does have "sexist" issues. All four of them are in the tenth season! It is almost like someone on high told the writers in this season to "beef up the feminist angle."

The Cop on the Cover - When pain-in-the-ass reporter Terri O'Brien starts to ask why there are no women in Five-O, McGarrett says, "Okay, honey, that's enough," explaining that adding untrained people to the team could interfere with Five-O's effectiveness. There is sparring in the Five-O office when McGarrett says that Terri is "operating on female intuition," to which she replies, "I didn't know intuition had a gender." Frustrated by her constant meddling, McGarrett later refers to her as a "second rate Lois Lane" and calls her "Ms." O'Brien (which the subtitles translate as "Miss"). Terri herself could be accused of being sexist when she says of McGarrett, he presents a "very sexy image" to women. It is debatable whether Terri deserves to be the object of McGarrett's wrath considering how annoying she is.

The Silk Trap - McGarrett puts his foot in his mouth by addressing beauty pagent boss Andrea King as "Ms." When she tells him not to be patronizing, he replies, "I didn't mean to be condescending. I was just using a term women-libbers seem to prefer." However, there is no indication to suggest that King is a "women's libber." Prior to this, McGarrett even tells Danno to avoid the term "Miss" when talking to King!

Tall on the Wave - The new assistant district attorney Sunada (Luella Costello) is convinced that Ben Kanaka is guilty of murdering his girl friend and tells McGarrett, "Whether he's innocent of this crime or not, he has demonstrated a conditioned reflex, a violent response to authority," based on Ben having resisted arrest during an incident with the cops in the past. Sunada, who is very pushy, insists on being called "Ms." When Danno leaves McGarrett's office after annoyedly listening to her theories about why Ben is guilty as hell, he tells her, "Nice to meet you," adding "Ms." in a very sarcastic manner.

Angel in Blue (an episode I truly loathe) - When he finds out that "Bates" who he needs for an undercover assignment is Valerie Bates, McGarrett stammers, "There's been some misunderstanding here. This case is much too heavy for a lady." McGarrett tells her, "Ms. Bates, I've already lost a very close friend on this case. An experienced police officer. And it's going to be even more dangerous now for the person who goes in behind him. Even more so because we have to move so quickly." He continues, "No, no, absolutely not. This is not gonna work." Bates reassures him, "If you care to look at my file, you will find that I am an expert marksman and that I came in second at the academy in self defense." But he still can't accept this. "I'm not questioning your qualifications." Bates rubs it in: "Is it because I'm a woman? A woman may be the head of Hawaii Five-O one day, Mr. McGarrett." McGarrett goes on, "Ms. Bates, I'm concerned only for your safety." Bates says, "So am I. You can count on it. I knew the risks and the responsibilities when I chose this profession. And I assure you, I am a damned good cop." McGarrett finally relents, saying, "I have a feeling you are. All right. Okay, you've got the job."

Strangely, in the twelfth season show Who Says Cops Don't Cry, McGarrett offers a job to Lori Wilson, without getting himself all twisted in knots. As well, in Full Fathom Five, the show's first episode, Danno is the one who doesn't want to use policewoman Joyce to entrap Reese. Obviously they have to use her, because Reese is targetting women. When Danno objects, McGarrett tells him words to the effect, "Nobody asked for your opinion." On the other hand, in Twenty-Four Karat Kill, McGarrett tells treasury agent Philip Grey, who proposes they use Andrea Claire Dupré to entrap Johnny Fargo, "No dames, please"!

Tall on the Wave is cringe worthy when McGarrett and Danno are at the surfing competition. First is the line, "My God, they're going to kill each other". This is followed up McGarrett telling the lifeguards to find them to the left. I kept waiting for him to tell them, no your other left. I like the concept of this episode as it features surfing which is very Hawaii. However, the episode also has Chin going around the island sniffing surf wax.

McGarrett also famously said “no dames” back in season 1 when offered a woman to go undercover. That’s been McGarrett all along. I share his views too. Some jobs are just not meant for women. That’s just his views. It’s who the character is. That doesn’t automatically equate to bad writing. Bad writing or bad acting is what typically constitutes cringe-worthiness.

Worst Scene
    Probably the worst scene is at the end of The Moroville Covenant in Season 12. They are dancing together at the end. It seems he still loves Evie. She had sacrificed herself for his potential and career. Taking the blame for the accident. Married the wrong man and went crazy. It wouldn't be much of a scandal today as it was tough conditions they were driving in.

Voice Of Terror. The later scene when Truck and the HPD man are pretending to be hikers. They had discussed earlier about their plan but Truck starts shouting not to release the gas yet. They had to release it so the wind would take it in Karl's direction. Obviously, Karl knows the deal now and shoots the HPD man he dies and Truck is handcuffed to the front of the vehicle.

A Season 12 trifecta the end of A Bird In Hand when McG recites that poem Gold...Gold...Gold...It was after Del Vecchi fell off that rotten level and to his death.

Can't leave off Season 10 When Does A War End? A dreadful episode. Boyd at the end talks about maybe entitling his piece, "When Does A War End?" That's when McG goes into his speech.

Thread Information