Thread: Suspension Of Belief For Or Against

I noticed in some HFO episodes I can suspend my belief more than others. The ones that I give more of the benefit of the doubt, they usually have a higher score in my 6 star system. Here are a few examples of each.

1. Deadly Persuasion (Season 8) Against. It's difficult that a College Student like Stevens would know about the TZ-40 nerve gas stored at Kern Industries. He's not interning there or a delivery person that might have access to the building. Also, his crane navigation and roping abilities again are not explained. How did he acquire these talents? I'm also amazed that Stevens had knowledge of the TZ-40 gas storage as it can be volatile. It's these early things I couldn't get passed on Deadly Persuasion. I did think the rest of the episode was fairly solid.

2. The Late John Louisiana (Season 3) For. Nick "The Ice Man" Hit Man falling in love with his target Julie seems far-fetched. However, they seemed to have a genuine loving relationship and I really enjoyed the story. I was able to get passed Nick's The Hit Man and see his more human side.

3. Rest In Peace Somebody (Season 4) Against. In this strong and well-written episode, a few things I couldn't suspend my belief. First-The Paint and the Paint Can. I still don't believe the paint can presented could hold that much paint. Remember he sloshed all the paint on McG's desk first. Also, it's a back office. Cameron had then trailed all that paint out of McG's back office, down past Jenny's desk, and down the long halfway towards the door. Another paint trail down the long staircase and street. Sorry, I don't believe it. Another thing that bothered me that there were no guards or other police stationed in McG's office or in the HFO main office. We know Cameron already had broken into McG's office before leaving his message for McG. It was too easy to leave the paint trail. This worked against Rest In Peace Somebody in the final ratings.

4. Death Is A Company Policy (Season 5) For. I had to suspend my belief plenty in Death Is A Company Policy but enjoyed the episode. I think it was because of the Bryce Halsey organization and their quick efficiency. Investigating each team interested me and I liked the process to find who the leaker would be. It was also outstanding to see Duke exonerated.

What are some Classic HFO episodes that you could suspend your belief more favorably and other episodes you could not?

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    You must be desperate if you are including The Late John Louisiana in this list.

There is a simple reason why Nick falls in love with Julie, because she is a total babe, and no red-blooded, cold-hearted contract killer could >not< fall in love with her.

Interesting Mr. Mike on "The Late John Louisiana". Nick The Hit Man" killed probably an attractive younger woman to put in Julie's place. In that conversation with Julie, Nick admits he killed a woman about Julie's age to pretend he did the job. You might like that I have The Late John Louisiana episode at 5.5 stars on the cusp of 6 stars. That's my highest grade 6. Two episodes I have upgraded to 6 stars over 2021 are: Honor Is An Unmarked Grave & Yesterday Died And Tomorrow Won't Be Born.

I admire The Late John Louisiana episode very much. It's definitely Top 15 with an arrow up. Will probably move Cry, Lie down and jump To Kill Or Be Killed up. Always an honor to correspond with you on HFO episodes.

There are a lot of "suspension of disbelief" moments in Five-O. The entire episode of "Welcome To Our Branch Office", was especially hard to swallow, but I enjoyed it because it was unique and a fun departure from the usual police procedural type of stuff.

I agree with Mike about "The Late John Louisiana". I didn't find that relationship too hard to swallow, and in fact that was one of the more believable couples depicted in the series.

Speaking of believable couples, I remember when I saw "Yesterday Died and Tomorrow Won't Be Born", I was impressed by the chemistry between the villain and his wife. It turned out they were a real-life married couple, so their genuine feelings came out on camera. They weren't a young or attractive couple, but I thought to myself, "Wow, they did a good job casting this one", and then it turned out they were really married.

Thread Information