A DEATH IN THE FAMILY REVIEW (Season 10) 3 Stars Out Of 4.
For 10 Seasons and nearly 240 episodes, Chin Ho Kelly was an important member of the HFO Team. His sudden murder in A Death In The Family is memorable and shocking. It seems like yesterday my sister informed me one morning she watched an episode that Chin Ho gets killed. "YOU HAVE TO BE JOKING!" I declared. I had seen many of the Classic HFO episodes on the double shot of HFO Sunday nights over a few years. Some weeks later, I was still up and my sister walked into my room. A Death In The Family is on now! The episode Chin Ho is killed!" I remember watching it and still can't believe it over 30 years later. The respected Detective Chin Ho killed and dumped out like garbage outside of HFO steps.

In A Death In The Family, the hard-working and respected Detective, Chin Ho Kelly, is shot and murdered after being exposed during an undercover operation in Chinatown. His killer, Jimmy Rego, is a rising member of the Kumu. The Hawaiian Mafia. Chin Ho had been working at a Chinatown billiards place. Both Chin and the Uncle had been approached by 2 of the Kumu soldiers (Liu & Napali). They were to pay protection money. From all accounts, Chin and the Uncle weren't paying it. He wanted to meet their boss first. The Boss, Jimmy Rego, changes things up on the time meeting and deciding to meet Chin now. Chin is placed in a difficult position and agrees to go with Liu and Napali. Chin is unlucky as Rego had also spent time in SF and tricks Chin. Rego explains that the man in front of him is really Chin Ho Kelly. A member of HFO. Outnumbered 3 to 1, Chin assesses the situation and strikes out at Rego who is now angry. Chin is murdered off-screen and is later dumped outside HFO Headquarters. There are several questions about Chin's undercover assignment.
1. Why is the recognizable and well-known Detective utilized in the 1st place? They could have used a younger HPD Man or somebody from the mainland. 2. Why not use the G-42 Kit they used in Season 8 The Case Against McGarrett to monitor Chin? You might remember McG had to go see Vashon in prison. McG was brave and courageous and they had him bugged to listen what Vashon was doing and talking about in the hostage situation at the jail. 3. Why would Chin decide to go with the men knowing that the HFO team and HPD would be in position later in the day? Maybe, he could have delayed meeting the boss with some kind of excuse.

McGarrett and The HFO Team remember Chin fondly and continue to honor him by finding his killer. Suzy, his daughter, arrives from the mainland to attend Chin Ho's funeral. She has grown up to be a beautiful woman and 1 of Chin's 8 children. One of her best friends is Kini Pahoa. She just happens to be Jimmy Rego's girlfriend and the daughter of Kumu Mob Boss, Cappy Pahoa. Suzy shows her Detective skills locating and taking Jimmy Rego's gun from his place. Most likely the murder weapon. She hands it over to McGarrett. Pahoa is facing more heat from McG when it is discovered the vehicle that brought over the exploding container of fortune cookies killing Yung Sen...It was from Pahoa's fleet of Restaurant Supply Vans. The discovery of the Restaurant Supply vehicle undergoes forensic investigation and Liu and Napali are shown to be in this van. They are part of Pahoa's organization. Jimmy Rego, the prime suspect, also is under Pahoa's employ. Later, Pahoa gives up Jimmy Rego's location to McG fir 3 reasons at least: 1. Too much heat Rego. He already admitted to killing Chin Ho. 2. Cappy doesn't want Rego to marry his daughter, Kini. 3. Thinking Ahead. Cappy knows Rego is both ambitious and impulsive. He could someday soon try and knock off Pahoa. Also, Cappy knows Rego murdered Chin Ho from their conversation. It was very realistic watching McG pound away on Rego. McG is releasing all that anger over Chin's death hammering away on this ruthless killer. Chin Ho's killer is apprehended. I would give A Death In The Family 3 stars due to the death of HFO Detective Chin Ho Kelly. It is an important episode from that standpoint. JC