Thread: *** John Chergi's Five-O Review Thread ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ANGEL IN BLUE REVIEW (SEASON 10) 1.25 STARS

I probably could do 100 other different things on my Birthday instead of an Angel In Blue Review. It has been pushed back a few days as I tried to give it another watch. I was hoping to boost it up to 1.5 stars. Mr. Mike was correct in his assessment of a BOMB rating. I'll keep it at 1.25 stars on the 4 star system.

Angel In Blue has a startling beginning when a woman water skiing notices a body floating in the ocean. It is identified as an HPD man Bradley. He was working undercover hoping to capture important people in a drug smuggling ring. His likely killer, Surfer, has left his trademark M.O. 3 shots into Bradley. McG is quite emotional when Bradley is deceased. It's strange as he lossed a few in his close circle on the police force. Yet Bradley's loss has hurt maybe the most. Bradley's life was not in vain. He was able to deliver information back on a monster 25 million dollar heroin shipment soon to arrive in Hawaii. McGarrett decides not releasing Bradley's name and keeping his death under wraps. With more information needed on the heroin delivery, McGarrett travels to Maui and meets Chief Sato. They need another undercover officer to find more information on the heroin delivery. Sato finds the perfect candidate...A blonde Officer Valerie Bates. She has strong qualifications. 1. An expert marksman 2. An excellent 2nd in self-defense at the Academy 3. A degree in Criminal Psychology 4. Solid experience in Homicide, Narcotics, and Robbery. There's a cumbersome exchange with McGarrett and Sato and Bates. McG is worried about her safety. He just lossed a good friend in Bradley. An excellent and experienced HPD man. As she is the most qualified, McG relents and Bates is given the assignment. She now will be Karen Baker in her undercover assignment. It's probably the intelligent decision. There weren't many women police officers in the 1970's compared to the force now. Also, a criminal types first thought wouldn't think of a woman as an undercover cop.

Karen Baker is played by Carolyn Lynley with an icy indifference or non-chalance. She maintains that type of attitude throughout the episode. Baker quickly makes her 1st connection with Kimo Hameo near the beach. He has been forced into the drug smuggling operation because he owed some gambling markers. These were picked up by syndicate man, Martin Lynch. His debt will be settled when the heroin shipment soon arriving are stored in little wooden tiki statues and later shipped. Kimo assists his Uncle Kale at his Uncle's Tiki Shop. The Uncle is not seen in the episode I think a small negative in the show. Later, Kimo explains that the drugs in the tiki cannot be detected in X-rays or by the dogs.

Kimo soon takes Karen Baker to meet Lynch and Surfer at Lynch's place. It's a very attractive place with a pool. Lynch has several friends and guests over at his residence. Some are allowed to stay at his house. Cocaine is found in her little compact and Lynch admonishes her for it. Surfer tests it out and it's the real thing. Baker is allowed to stay. The cocaine is discarded. Surfer later learns Karen Baker has a record in California and Oregon.

Barker's undercover operation continues as she plants a bug in the telephone so the HFO team can listen in to the conversations at Lynch's place. Chin Ho is seen during the episode conducting surveillance across from Lynch's residence. He's inside a TV truck. It's strange that the observant and suspicious Lynch and Surfer never noticed the truck. None of the friends and guests do as well.

Baker and Kimo spend much of the episode together as she tries to find more information about the heroin shipment. Kimo is hesitant to talk about his situation but Karen gains his trust over the few days. He admits that Lynch had paid some gambling markers for him and he must repay that by working in this operation. He shows her the Tiki Shop. His Uncle Kale's place. The heroin "H" will be stored in the little wooden tikis and later moved. Baker makes a good point about Lynch and Surfer owning him. If this is a success, why would they just do it this 1 time? Using the wooden Tikis disguising the heroin...They most likely would continue smuggling the drugs this way. Kimo decides to make Karen Baker his partner. This is allowed but the money for Baker will be taken out of Kimo's share. Kimo finds the bug Baker planted in the phone from the reflection in the desk glass. He decides to pocket the bug saving Baker's life. He easily could have given the bug to Lynch or Surfer. Thanks to the bug information, the HFO team learns where and when the shipment will arrive. Kimo saved her life in the room and Baker reveals that she can help him. They have a conversation outside. Surfer learns that Karen Baker is a HFO plant. Her real name is Bates. She's police over on Maui.

Thaler arrives with the heroin drifting in on a small raft from the ship. He is part of the drug smuggling ring too. The shipment of heroin is taken back to the Tiki Shop where it's supposed to be placed in the tikis there. Instead, Lynch states he's doing his own mailing service taking the little wooden back where he will do it. Surfer confronts Kimo at the Tiki Shop. He states Baker has played him. She's really a cop. Surfer wants Kimo to kill Baker. Kimo cannot kill Baker and instead goes after Surfer. This would be the time for Bates AKA Baker self-defense talents and expert marksman prowess to be utilized. She fails here and should have picked up Surfer's gun and had Kimo tie Surfer's arms or wrists and secure him until police arrives. Instead, Kimo and Baker run away and Sufer picks up his weapon giving chase. During the chase, Surfer shoots Kimo killing him. He protected her from death. McG on a copter jumps down onto Surfer. This was very dangerous. Surfer could have turned and fired killing McG. With Surfer apprehended, McG returns to where Baker had rolled into the ditch. Baker shows some emotion as Kimo expires. It's a shame we will never see what Kimo would have done with his life. Thaler and Lynch were apprehended earlier. The episode ends.

Angel In Blue deserves a 1.25 star out of 4. There are too many things that have to go just right. It's a very razor thin margin. Think about it for a minute. 1. Baker has to meet Kimo. 2. This Kimo has to decide he likes Karen and take her with him. 3. He has to bring Karen Baker to Lynch's place. 4. Lynch MUST agree to have Karen stay there. 5. Karen has to plant the bug without being seen. There's plenty of people including Lynch and Surfer walking in and out. 6. The TV truck cannot be discovered monitoring the Lynch's residence etc.

I would give positive remarks for Lynch and Surfer. They were legitimate criminal types and I liked their presence on the screen. Also, I enjoyed how it would work placing the heroin in the wooden tikis. It seemed plausible the drugs could be smuggled in this manner and most likely without detection.

Kimo was not anywhere in Lynch and Surfer's league in criminality. He seemed nervous and unsure of himself. My guess Kimo would have been a loose end if they continued to use this tiki method. Well, that's my review. What did you think about Angel In Blue? JC

Never understood the hate for this episode. It’s actually one of the better ones from the season. Plus it has a good Morton Stevens score to boot!

I know that I used to also like When Does a War End (I thought it was one of the better ones of the season too) but it’s definitely gone downhill since I rewatched it some years ago. Mostly because of David Dukes who’s completely ineffective as the psycho type. He looks like he’s about to take a crap at the end while trying to kill Muromoto. Laughably bad!!! I mean the episode is nowhere near Tread the King’s Shadow level of bad, but it’s definitely not good.

Angel in Blue on the other hand held up quite well on a rewatch.

A DEATH IN THE FAMILY REVIEW (Season 10) 3 Stars Out Of 4.
    For 10 Seasons and nearly 240 episodes, Chin Ho Kelly was an important member of the HFO Team. His sudden murder in A Death In The Family is memorable and shocking. It seems like yesterday my sister informed me one morning she watched an episode that Chin Ho gets killed. "YOU HAVE TO BE JOKING!" I declared. I had seen many of the Classic HFO episodes on the double shot of HFO Sunday nights over a few years. Some weeks later, I was still up and my sister walked into my room. A Death In The Family is on now! The episode Chin Ho is killed!" I remember watching it and still can't believe it over 30 years later. The respected Detective Chin Ho killed and dumped out like garbage outside of HFO steps.

In A Death In The Family, the hard-working and respected Detective, Chin Ho Kelly, is shot and murdered after being exposed during an undercover operation in Chinatown. His killer, Jimmy Rego, is a rising member of the Kumu. The Hawaiian Mafia. Chin Ho had been working at a Chinatown billiards place. Both Chin and the Uncle had been approached by 2 of the Kumu soldiers (Liu & Napali). They were to pay protection money. From all accounts, Chin and the Uncle weren't paying it. He wanted to meet their boss first. The Boss, Jimmy Rego, changes things up on the time meeting and deciding to meet Chin now. Chin is placed in a difficult position and agrees to go with Liu and Napali. Chin is unlucky as Rego had also spent time in SF and tricks Chin. Rego explains that the man in front of him is really Chin Ho Kelly. A member of HFO. Outnumbered 3 to 1, Chin assesses the situation and strikes out at Rego who is now angry. Chin is murdered off-screen and is later dumped outside HFO Headquarters. There are several questions about Chin's undercover assignment.
    1. Why is the recognizable and well-known Detective utilized in the 1st place? They could have used a younger HPD Man or somebody from the mainland. 2. Why not use the G-42 Kit they used in Season 8 The Case Against McGarrett to monitor Chin? You might remember McG had to go see Vashon in prison. McG was brave and courageous and they had him bugged to listen what Vashon was doing and talking about in the hostage situation at the jail. 3. Why would Chin decide to go with the men knowing that the HFO team and HPD would be in position later in the day? Maybe, he could have delayed meeting the boss with some kind of excuse.

McGarrett and The HFO Team remember Chin fondly and continue to honor him by finding his killer. Suzy, his daughter, arrives from the mainland to attend Chin Ho's funeral. She has grown up to be a beautiful woman and 1 of Chin's 8 children. One of her best friends is Kini Pahoa. She just happens to be Jimmy Rego's girlfriend and the daughter of Kumu Mob Boss, Cappy Pahoa. Suzy shows her Detective skills locating and taking Jimmy Rego's gun from his place. Most likely the murder weapon. She hands it over to McGarrett. Pahoa is facing more heat from McG when it is discovered the vehicle that brought over the exploding container of fortune cookies killing Yung Sen...It was from Pahoa's fleet of Restaurant Supply Vans. The discovery of the Restaurant Supply vehicle undergoes forensic investigation and Liu and Napali are shown to be in this van. They are part of Pahoa's organization. Jimmy Rego, the prime suspect, also is under Pahoa's employ. Later, Pahoa gives up Jimmy Rego's location to McG fir 3 reasons at least: 1. Too much heat Rego. He already admitted to killing Chin Ho. 2. Cappy doesn't want Rego to marry his daughter, Kini. 3. Thinking Ahead. Cappy knows Rego is both ambitious and impulsive. He could someday soon try and knock off Pahoa. Also, Cappy knows Rego murdered Chin Ho from their conversation. It was very realistic watching McG pound away on Rego. McG is releasing all that anger over Chin's death hammering away on this ruthless killer. Chin Ho's killer is apprehended. I would give A Death In The Family 3 stars due to the death of HFO Detective Chin Ho Kelly. It is an important episode from that standpoint. JC

Thread Information