Thread: 6 Star Classic HFO Episodes (1968-1980)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    Uh, no, John, you wouldn't have to "accordion down" the 6 star system to a 4 star one. You could just use the 4 star one.

My main problem with your 6 star system is that it's not consistent with the 4 star one which I have been using since 1998 or even earlier. Every time I read some 6 star rating which you have posted, I have to do mental arithmetic to try and figure out "what is that equivalent to in 4 stars?"

Even a 5 star system which has 3 as a "middle" rating is less complicated. Someone in e-mail to me said, "Why does he use a 6 star system, why not 7?" Sure, why not a "100 star" rating, then some episode might be 58.3 stars, another one 76.7 stars?

Using a 6 star rating system reminds me of a Steve Martin monologue on Saturday Night Live many years ago where he was trying to get the audience to do a sing-a-long, and told them, "All right, ladies only... Come on! Okay, this half of the room! Beautiful! Now this half! Good, good! All right, two-fifths! Now, three-fifths! Good. Seven-ninths! Two-ninths."

More recently, it reminds me of what the disgraced comedian Louis CK said regarding "The 'N'-word," when someone uses this term in conversation with another person. The second person must mentally say to themselves, "Hmmm, the 'N-word,' that really means '[the dreaded word this stands for]'."

I have had issues with "rating systems" before. I have often felt about just removing all the star ratings on my review sites, because people see these ratings, and they don't even bother to read the reviews that they are based on, they just say that "Oh, that is what I think of it too," or "That Mike is an idiot."

You will notice that I don't have any ratings for Peter Gunn episodes (www.petergunn.tv) at all (there were 38 x 3 episodes in total) because, as mentioned elsewhere, it was just too much work to deal with the "big picture." I also didn't use star ratings with my reviews of the Mission: Impossible 1988 reboot (www.missionimpossible1988.info) because I was just doing those reviews for fun. If I decided to do the original Mission: Impossible, I probably wouldn't have ratings either.

With the H50 reboot, I got myself mentally twisted with the early season shows because they were so bad, and I actually had an alternate rating system called "This Is Just A TV Show Rating" which was better than the rating which I eventually gave the show. If you look at the HTML on some of the pages for the reboot reviews, you can still see this "alternate" rating, which has been commented out.

There is a Wikipedia page devoted to star ratings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_(classification)

You might want to check that out.

Most of the discussion there is regarding four or five star ratings. Six star is very unusual and just causes problems. You suggest that you would have to adjust your rating so that 5 stars, for example, was actually 3⅓, and 4 was 2⅔.

Using a 4 star system eliminates this problem.
    Last edited by Mr. Mike; 05-11-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Thread Information