Thread: Becoming A Hawaii Five-O Team Member

I was curious if anybody knows how a HFO member is determined. The qualifications to become a HFO team member. Early in the Series, the Governor pats himself on the back often about hiring Steve McGarrett to lead HFO. I wonder how joining the elite unit is possible. Is there a written exam and some questions in front of a small board? I wonder if the Governor has any input on who the men or women candidates could be. I guess there would be an "acclimation process" as the person could be qualified but not mesh with McG or Danno. Later, in the Series, McGarrett just asks Carew to be a member. They were extremely thin on manpower at that time. Duke works his way from HPD to HFO. Anybody have an answer?

I always thought that once the governor named Steve as head of Five-O, Steve had full control of who was hired for the team. I'm not sure that I have any evidence to back that up, but that's what I thought.

I believe you're correct, honu59. Although we don't see it directly in the series, we do see in the personnel turnover.

Thread Information