Thread: My "in a nutshell" reviews of Season 10 from 10 years ago!

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    215. Up the Rebels
    Good: Contemporary issues (troubles in Ireland), acting by Boyd and Heilveil. Not So Good: Size of ship used to transport goods (they should have used the ship from the next episode).

216. You Don't See Many Pirates These Days
    Good: Script is OK if you don't think about it too hard. Not So Good: Time-compression and topography issues near the end.

217. The Cop on the Cover
    Good: Contemporary issues (sexism), glimpse into McGarrett's life, acting by Simmons and Keale. Not So Good: Villains are boring, Simmons' snooping at the end.

218. The Friends of Joey Kalima
    Good: Local color, Alan Oppenheimer as Internal Affairs guy. Not So Good: How McGarrett and Joey figure out the business with the lava dust at the end.

219. Descent of the Torches
    Good: Local color, McGarrett doesn't win. Not So Good: McGarrett figures out the professor's involvement.

220. The Ninth Step
    Good: Contemporary issues (Alcoholics Anonymous), Gil Gerard's acting. Not So Good: Sub-plot with crooks trying to rip off armored car.

221. Shake Hands With the Man on the Moon
    Good: Plot: Astronaut deals with mid-life crisis. Not So Good: Lead actor is too laid-back, music.

222. Deadly Doubles
    Good: International intrigue, another "don't think too hard" episode. Not So Good: Use of English by Russian actors, nebulous plot details.

223. Deep Cover
    Good: Maud Adams, use of Navy locales. Not So Good: Far-fetched premise of a "double."

224. Tsunami
    Good: Local color. Not So Good: Repeat of Forty Feet High, plot inconsistencies.

225. East Wind -- Ill Wind
    Good: Don't know which side lead actress is on, the manicure scene. Not So Good: Not much!

226. Tread the King's Shadow
    Good: McGarrett gives Governor a lot of mouth, plot is sort of OK, but ... Not So Good: Music is putrid, story is too "cute," lead actor is not Hawaiian looking.

227. The Big Aloha
    Good: Local color, Hawaiian vs. rich haole conflicts. Not So Good: Plot becomes a total mess by the end.

228. A Short Walk on the Longshore
    Good: Sharon Farrell's performance. Not So Good: McGarrett's moustache, bland big villain at the end.

229. The Silk Trap
    Good: Contemporary issues (sexism, beauty contests, political corruption). Not So Good: McGarrett is a pussy.

230. Head to Head
    Good: Sympathetic performance by George Grizzard. Not So Good: Not much!

231. Tall on the Wave
    Good: Local color, Danno is featured, acting by Kimo Kahoano. Not So Good: Topographic issues.

232. Angel in Blue
    Good: Nothing. Not So Good: Carol Lynley's totally uninvolved performance.

233. When Does a War End?
    Good: Nothing. Not So Good: Everything.

234. Invitation to Murder
    Good: Interesting premise. Not So Good: Bored acting, continuity issues.

235. Frozen Assets
    Good: Kind of "cute" lead actress, topical issue (cryogenics). Not So Good: Scene with Danno and Duke in the thawing room.

236. My Friend, the Enemy
    Good: Lead actress is OK (but could have been better), jokey humor with Danno getting hot pants for her. Not So Good: Kidnapping takes place in middle of nowhere.

237. A Stranger in His Grave
    Good: Laraine Stephens. Not So Good: Andrew Prine.

238. A Death in the Family
    Good: Great performance by Manou Tupou, Elissa in a bikini! Not So Good: Sub-plot with Chin's daughter becoming amateur detective, where are Chin's other kids?

Added: Monday 10 January 2011 10:08:25 PST

Mr. Mike
    Love the Quick Season 10 HFO Episode Condensers. East Wind, Ill Wind probably is my FAV of this season and 1 of my FAVS. I'm a big fan of Madame Sandanarik. I wish more Season 10 Episodes were like East Wind, Ill Wind. Up The Rebels is another strong episode. It's a great story throughout. I dont know what happened to the writing in Season 10. Double Exposure and Tsunami are very good episodes. When Does A War End? really falls apart after a strong initial start. You are right about the last 5 minutes or so. It's as bad as it gets. They should have kept Mitchell alive since he knows these War Criminals. It would have been a better beginning if Mitchell and Muromoto met at the docks. Mitchell presenting his evidence to Muromoto and a struggle with Mitchell surviving but hospitalized. Barker would be near but watching. Barker then continuing the case against Muromoto.
    I've never seen Tall On The Wave or Head To Head. My Friend The Enemy is another FAV of the season. I agree about the kidnapping scene. It might have been more realistic if he was dressed as a cop when the limo driver arrived at the scene. Later, the dead end. It might have been maybe more suspenseful if they had kidnapped the Princess right from the party. A Death In The Family is a hit and miss type episode. The meeting scene with Chin and Rego is interesting. Strange Chin is not wired or bugged and Rego also takes a chance that the cops aren't close by to save Chin. Plenty to digest Season 10. JC

Sorry, I meant Deep Cover instead of Double Exposure. Too early in the AM. Double Exposure Season 9. JC

Mr. Mike. Thanks for the quick Season 10 "In A Nutshell" Reviews. Season 10 is a roller coaster of strong episodes (Up The Rebels, Deep Cover, East Wind, Ill Wind, Head To Head, Tsunami) to weaker episodes (Angel In Blue, A Short Walk On The Longshore, and a Top 5 Worst episode candidate When Does A War End? For some reason, there are several episodes in Season 10 I never watched. Frozen Assets, The Silk Trap, Tall On The Wave, The Big Aloha,
    etc. I have the Season 10 DVD's but still haven't watched them. I think the Final 3 Episodes in Season 10...My Friend The Enemy, Stranger In His Grave, and A Death In The Family showed Classic HFO still had some life and fire in the belly. I enjoy all 3 episodes. Ellisel on the IMDB Classic HFO reviews made a good point that Season 11 could have started with Rego's trial. I wonder if Jack Lord or the writers discussed this possibility. I think 1 of your best lines in Season 10 was Invitation To Murder. "Bored Acting." I totally agree. With all the different Barlowe's and Thorpe's, they could have made this even more suspenseful and thrilling. I did like Eugenie. There's kind of an awkward moment where McG is talking with Riah. He then talks to 1 of the other members of the house. Riah stands there for a moment then walks in the house. I think she was going to do some sewing. I'm a big fan of My Friend, The Enemy and Stranger In His Grave.

Thread Information