Thread: Today's Technology Helping 1970s HFO Team

I was thinking watching a few Classic HFO episodes...You know if they were just able to receive some help with today's technology. I'll give 3 quick examples.
    1. F.O.B. Honolulu-Nicole Fleming rides up the glass envelope and changes clothes as the elevator rises high. I think Kono sees her on one of the floors but can't tell Chin Ho in time. He remembers Fleming in her original outfit. She escapes. Say Kono could text quickly to Chin or send a quick e-mail. Fleming could have been stopped right there or later followed.
    2. Cry, Lie-Chin Ho was brilliantly framed by the lawyer Cahlo and his associates. 1 of the problems was Chin could not remember what days he did things over a period of weeks. Say he had his cellphone and planner on it. Could have helped him remember what days he stayed home or went out.
    3. The Young Assassins-McG and Danno could have sent E-mails and Texts back and forth when Danno was captured by The People's Attack Group. It's more than likely the PAG would have found the cell phone but it's interesting to think about.
    I was wondering Classic HFO fans: Can you think of any particular instances in Classic HFO episodes where today's technology (cell phones, computers, internet, certain communications E-Mail etc) could have assisted McG and the HFO team? JC

There's lots of instances where today's tech could help the team. Pick an episode, any episode.

But it also defeats the purpose (and the charm) of the Classic Five-O series.

You want to watch the newer tech help, watch the reboot.

I agree with Bobbi about modern tech killing the charm of the show. The team had to work all the harder and be mentally clever to solve cases - love seeing that. I also love the stock footage of the "iron brain" at work - the stack of key punch cards flipping through, the green and white striped paper printouts, etc. It really takes me back. Yeah, I'm old school, for sure! I don't even own a mobile phone.

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    I like the way the Iron Brain always spits out ONE punch card at the end, which, of course, is the one that has critical information on it for solving the case.

In the examples mentioned above:

1. F.O.B. Honolulu-Nicole Fleming rides up the glass envelope and changes clothes as the elevator rises high. I think Kono sees her on one of the floors but can't tell Chin Ho in time. He remembers Fleming in her original outfit. She escapes. Say Kono could text quickly to Chin or send a quick e-mail. Fleming could have been stopped right there or later followed.

Unfortunately, Chin, who is on the plaza, is not at angle where he can really see Nicole, because she changes her clothes before the elevator gets to the top. She is the only person in elevator going up. This elevator does not correspond to what is in real life, which is an elevator which goes from the ground floor to the restaurant at the top of the Ilikai. Kono says that he will take "the express elevator" to get to the top ahead of her (which he does, actually emerging from another elevator at the top), but how can it be any more "express" than the one which goes to the restaurant?

This situation might have been resolved better if Chin and Kono had walkie-talkies. They didn't need to have cell phones. Kono could have alerted Chin that Nicole didn't come out at the top and Chin could have been more vigilant when the people emerged from the elevator when it came back down. Chin actually does look at the disguised Nicole as she leaves the elevator, but he doesn't make the connection as to who she really is.

3. The Young Assassins-McG and Danno could have sent E-mails and Texts back and forth when Danno was captured by The People's Attack Group. It's more than likely the PAG would have found the cell phone but it's interesting to think about.

Danno and the professor are grabbed in the car and there was no opportunity to then make a cell phone call. They are both blindfolded, and when they arrive at the PAG hideout, Danno is relieved of his ID. I'm sure if he had a cell phone, he would have been relieved of that too.

How about Computer Killer?

Nobody had any clue how the villain was doing everything the entire time, because who would think of a computer hacker in 1975?

(Credit to writer Tim Maschler for being way ahead of his time with that script!)

Thread Information