Thread: No Blue Skies comment at IMDb (really?)

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    Homage to Bobby Darin and the Kennedys

An obvious homage to June 1968 death of Robert Kennedy, the quagmire in Vietnam and the disillusionment of artists such as Bobby Darin-referenced by the guest star Tommy Sands.

Hawaii-5-O was such high quality, that it may have set the bar too high in earning such a low (5.5) score, especially within the stellar first season.

The dramatic events of 1968, the dropping out of society of one Bobby Darin, famous for his version of "Blue Skies" and how his jazzed-up version of that song cynically-contrasts with the lighter, more optimistic post-WWII version given by Bing Crosby. I could imagine the effect of the Kennedy-Vietnam-Class-Warfare perfect storm spreading gloom and yet counterbalanced by the emotional reserve of our heroes who display calm, confident multi- ethnic teamwork. True liberal democracy-an incredibly expensive result of patient virtue. I'm looking forward to the movie treatment of this series. Thanks

No idea what that’s all about. Someone seems to be projecting random stuff onto this episode. Granted I don’t know much about Bobby Darin (except that he was a singer) but RFK and Vietnam are totally irrelevant here.

Seems like “Not That Much Different” would be a better fit for this RFK/Vietnam analogy.

I don't get the "opinion" piece on IMDb. Five-O had lots to say about Vietnam and I thought the series handled it all well. It wasn't a good subject to broach in 1960s or early 1970s.

Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    I don't get the "opinion" piece on IMDb. Five-O had lots to say about Vietnam and I thought the series handled it all well. It wasn't a good subject to broach in 1960s or early 1970s.
    I think the confusion is what does this episode have to do with Vietnam? Absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by ringfire211; 09-10-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Thread Information