Thread: Musical Stuff

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    I have created "suites" from music in individual episodes.

Before, there were individual cues in these episodes which you could click on. Only problem with this was, you would be thrown to another page where you could only see the player for this cue, with no reference back to the listings of the cues on the previous page.

You can see some suites, where I combined these individual cues, on this page: http://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log1.htm

Look in the "MUSIC" section for certain shows. This does not include all shows ... yet.

I managed to find a player which uses the AUDIO command in HTML for the combined cues (suites). You can now see the player and the progress of the music while you are looking at the names of the individual cues from the suite which are right below this.

Where the specific cues begin in the suite are indicated by the times in bold red type. If you drag the round "player" thingie to those approximate times, you can hear just a specific cue.

Recent shows which I have given this treatment to -- newer than that for shows which were already done -- include "Forty Feet High And It Kills," "No Blue Skies," "By The Numbers," and "Draw Me A Killer." This treatment has also been given to "A Thousand Pardons -- You're Dead!" in season two and "Highest Castle, Deepest Grave" in season four.

I don't know if I want to do this kind of musical anal-ysis for every show. I was trying to come up with a "system" for doing all the various component parts of this procedure, but this just got very complicated. I should probably do all the shows by Stevens (57 in total, according to IMDb) and then other composers ... Broughton, Ray, Shores, Geller, etc. I don't think I will do Cacavas.

The only issue here is that you can no longer click on individual tracks. Instead you need to slide the “slider” in the player to get to the cue that you want.

Because of limitations with HTML, you cannot make the player just play anything that is selected on the page or a certain part of the page. Using the AUDIO command, you have to specify a certain file like an MP3, which will then be played when you hit the "play" arrow on the player.

The file I chose was the suite, and if you want to select individual cues, you have to move the round thing to the approximate location where that cue begins as per the red bold faced time.

If you wanted to be able to play each individual cue, this could be done, but then you would need a separate player for each cue as in the picture below. If this was done for every cue in a show (and some shows have over 20 cues), the page would look crappy.

There actually is another way you can listen to individual cues which are in the suite by adding #[number of seconds as per the red bold times] to the end of the suite file URL.

In the case of the Hookman suite which I just finished, the URL for the suite file is like this:

http://fiveohomepage.com/music/seaso...6E01-suite.mp3

If you right-click on the player, you can get this URL. This works with a PC, I don't know how it would work on a Mac.

Once you have the URL, you can access the specific cue by adding the number of seconds to the end of this URL. For example, cue #5 starts at 7 minutes and 50 seconds, which is 470 seconds (these times are approximate to the 1/100th of a second, so they may not be exact).

You would have to change the URL so it would look like this:

http://fiveohomepage.com/music/seaso...uite.mp3#t=470

Mind you, doing this does not isolate that particular cue, it only takes you to where the cue starts in the suite. Unless you just wanted to listen to that cue and stop at the end of it, the music would continue to the end of the suite.

By right-clicking on the player with a PC, you can also download the suite file to your computer where you can edit it, breaking it up into individual cues or removing just those cues which you want to listen to.

==========

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  19.6 KB
    Last edited by Mr. Mike; 09-09-2021 at 09:20 PM.

I get what you’re saying Mike. I was just saying that the way you had it before (each track on its own page) was easier for listening to just a particular track. Of course for listening to the whole suite this approach that you have now makes more sense.

Mike, you should definitely do the 3 season 3 standouts - “And a Time to Die” by Richard Shores, “Over Fifty” by Mort, and “Ten Thousand Diamonds” by Don Ray.

Other good ones that season?

The Second Shot - Shores
    The Late John Louisiana - Ray
    The Reunion - George Romanis

“The Ransom” has a great score but it’s all stock.

So far I have done the following "suites." Some of these may seem odd, but I was doing other things for those episodes which involved dealing with the whole show, so I figured "what the heck."

However, there are obviously first-rate shows which should be given the "suite" treatment, i.e., Nine Dragons, Over Fifty, How to Steal a Masterpiece, Honor is an Unmarked Grave, etc. (all of which you will note are by Stevens).

===

S01E01 to S01E12
    S01E15
    S01E21 to S01E23

===

S02E01
    S02E03 to S02E04
    S02E13 (largely a waste of my time; a stock score)

===

S04E01
    S04E21 (coming soon, also not particularly significant)

===

S06E01
    S06E02
    S06E03
    S06E04

Great work, Mike! Keep up the good work.

“Cloth of Gold” is a very good one from season 4 by Ray.

Also don’t forget “Cocoon”. A classic!

Cocoon is a double episode ... definitely to be done, because many of the cues ended up on the soundtrack album.

By the way, S04E21 above should be S04E22.

I just finished Honor Is An Unmarked Grave (S08E12): http://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log8.htm#180

Speaking of music, here is an interesting article about the song "This Land is Your Land," which is sung by Tommy Sands' character in No Blue Skies (something I always thought was kind of weird)...

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...n-protest-song

Cocoon is an important score in that many of the cues that we hear especially during the first 2 seasons come from this score, many that aren’t even on the official Five-O soundtrack. For example the “escalating” suspense cue that plays as McGarrett is making his way towards the opening that leads into the “cocoon” or the cue that plays towards the end as the cop cars approach the Arcturus while Chin is surveilling from the roof. It’s a really cool piece that I’m not sure what to call.

Thread Information