Thread: Highest Castle, Deepest Grave is 50

It's that time of year again where we note the 50th Anniversaries of particular episodes. Today, it's the Season 4 opener: Highest Castle, Deepest Grave.

The show begins innocently enough with an anthropological dig. Several skeletons are discovered but two don't belong being only 10 years old. they're later identified as Anton Parker and one Mrs. Mondrago. We later find out the pair were having an affair, something her husband (Herbert Lom) may or may not have known about.

While investigating the case, McGarrett is drawn in by a large painting of Mrs. Mondrago. It also turns out that her daughter Sirone (France Nuyen) is an exact duplicate of her mother. Besides his own obsession with the painting, there are multiple obstacles thrown into McGarrett's path as he slowly uncovers the answers and eventually the truth. The twist at the end in one of the best of the entire series and I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the episode or haven't seen it in a while.

Mr. Mike's excellent review (and pretty awesome gallery) is here: http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log4.htm#73

This episode went outside the lines for the series and it mostly focuses on McGarrett. This isn't a bad thing and was well executed.

Of note, if the artist Duncan (Jeff Corey) seems familiar, he is. He was the doctor in charge of the cardiac patients in S01E13 "King Of The Hill". We also see Moe Keale for the first time as Akea, Mondrago's servant.

When McGarrett and Chin go after Dr. Herbert Ventnor (Bill Edwards) in his huge Lincoln Continental, there are several shots that later become stock footage in the series. Included are the flaming car rolling down the hill as it explodes and the second police officer who jumps into the patrol car to pursue the Continental.

I personally like this episode and every time I watch it, things jump out at me again. While not one of my top favorites, it's enjoyable every time I watch (which I did about 2 weeks ago). I would say this is arguably the top role France Nuyen played in the series during her multiple appearances.

Happy 50th, "Highest Castle, Deepest Grave"!

This was the only time Herbert Lom ever did an episode of an American TV series. Those who only know him for the Pink Panther movies can get a nice indication of what a good dramatic actor he was too.

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    I read a story somewhere, which I cannot track down, that when Herbert Lom was offered the acting job on H50, he said something like "what the heck is that show?" but his kids started yelling at him that he should take the job, because they were obviously more hip than he was.

Jeff Corey was blacklisted during the 1950s, as were some other actors on the show, specifically John Randolph and Luther Adler. All of them started working again in the 1960s. There may be others.

Morton Stevens did an outstanding score for this show. You can hear it in the suite which I have assembled from the musical cues in the show:

http://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log4.htm#73 under "MUSIC."

Bobbi-Thanks for bringing up Highest Castle, Deepest Grave. Definitely Top 10 episode. I presently have it located at #6. McGarrett was very attracted or drawn to the Mrs. Mondrago painting. It makes him human and a Classic episode. JC

Thread Information