Tonight 50 years ago, CBS aired S04E05 "Two Doves And Mr. Heron".

A man, Mr. Heron (Vic Morrow), stops over in Honolulu and gets mugged by a hippie freak Ryan Moore (John Ritter in one of his earlier roles in TV) and his girlfriend, Cleo (Dianne Hull). Mr. Heron isn't interested in involving the police - he's high-tailing it to greener grasses overseas. Simple, right? Wrong!

Cleo is a runaway from the Bay Area in California and personally knows Danno. Turns out, Danno boarded with her family while attending Berkeley. Cleo's mom is worried sick and knows Cleo's in Hawaii due to a postcard being sent by Cleo from Honolulu. Danno does everything he can to track Cleo down. What makes matters worse, Heron is in possession of $250,000 embezzled from an employee insurance fund from a grocery store chain. Ryan finds the money and gets plans of his own.

Heron takes matters into his own hands and tracks down Ryan and Cleo. Much to Cleo's unhappiness, she discovers Ryan is cut from the same cloth as Heron. Danno, along with the rest of Five-O, find Ryan and Cleo at the airport. The ending is unusual in my mind considering it was 1971/72 timeframe. In the parting shot, Cleo walks away taking her own path. It's a huge statement for women at the time.

Mr. Mike's review and gallery is here: http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log4.htm#77

This is one of my favorite episodes because we get a hint on Danno's background and it's in line with what we learned in S01E13 "King Of The Hill". I also get it's not one of Five-O's strongest episodes but I still enjoy it.

During the final confrontation, McGarrett and company have to run all the way back under the airport to arrive at the warehouse where Heron is holding Cleo. This is a definite downside to the episode.

Also, during the course of Five-O's search for the pair, they are brought in on a candle shop that burned down the night before. The girl is believed to be Cleo until Doc Bergman (Al Eben) prints her and discovers she looked like Cleo but wasn't (much to Danno's relief). It's through this incident that Five-O figures out the couple headed to the airport. The girl who 'died' in the fire is portrayed by Kerry Sherman, daughter of Peggy Ryan who is none other than Jenny, the Five-O secretary.

Happy 50th, "Two Doves And Mr. Heron"!