Thread: Skinhead at 50 years

Tonight 50 years ago, CBS dare to air, S04E18 "Skinhead".

This episode was an honest look at rape, at least what TV would allow in early 1972. It opens at a bar where a girl, Nora (Miko Mayama), talks to her boyfriend but is chased when she leaves. The guy who's chasing her is Mitch Kenner (Lee Paul). Kenner is in the Army and he's discovered as the attacker because Nora fought back, scratching her predator's chest. Kenner is subsequently charged but is later discovered that he couldn't have raped Nora, he was physically incapable.

The real rapist was Luke Leonard (Murray MacLeod) and he's found out thanks to the help by a young co-worker Chris (Dean Altier). Luke borrowed a shirt from Chris and was wearing it when he raped Nora.

Mr. Mike does so much better with his write-up: http://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log4.htm#90

This isn't one of my favorite episodes but it is excellent. McGarrett loses it calling the rapist an animal. Nora's attack is the fourth in six weeks. There's no mention of the other cases and whether Kenner or Luke were involved in the other attacks.

One of the questions that had to be asked at the time is whether the victim fought back. We do see the defensive wounds Nora has suffered. She also has to deal with slimy attorney Tasaki (Kwan Hi Lim) who we will see later in the Vashon trilogy. When Nora testifies, Tasaki twists the story to make it seem Nora asked for it. It's certainly the culture of the time.

This episode is definitely a must-see if someone limits the episodes they watch (I don't know why!) But it's not a introductory episode either.

Happy 50th, "Skinhead"!!!

Skinhead is 1 of the Classic Hawaii Five-O episodes that is not in my personal Top 20 but it is an intense episode and very well-acted. Nora is pursued by the Skinhead Soldier Mitch Kenner in the bar and later physically assaulted by Kenner outside. Luke watches the scene take place and is the actual rapist. It's a nightmare scenario for Nora as Mitch the Soldier has a decisive height, strength, and weight advantage over her. She fights back leaving scratches on Kenner. Because of his military-like appearance and bald head description, HFO team utilize their detective skills over at the base. It pays off as Mitch Kenner is discovered with the scratch marks. Kenner tries to explain it away as from the bushes that scratched him. During their investigation, the HFO team discover something interesting. Kenner was in an accident and had a rare urethral type injury. He was rendered impotent. Luke has his own psychological issues as McG explains that Luke was the one who sexually assaulted Nora. I thought Nora was excellent in this episode. She was very brave and courageous battling and fighting the Skinhead who chased after her. Leaving scratches to identify him and the court trial where she faced grilling questions on her private life. I believe Mitch Kenner's physical assault on Nora should have been focused on more sharply too. He might not have raped her but still deserved a long sentence. I would give Skinhead a solid 3.5 stars. JC

Thread Information