Thread: Webpage mods

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    The main page (index.html) for my WWW site (fiveohomepage.com), like most of the pages on my site, was originally created using some really easy text editor like Notepad or Wordpad on the PC (Wordpad is also known as Write). As amendments and changes were made, they were just incorporated into this "really easily created" file.

Somewhere along the way, I decided to convert this whole thing to a Microsoft Word file, which increased the size from around 40 KB to 183 KB. This is because the Word file is full of horrible, horrible -- and very unnecessary -- code which, to me, seems to have no purpose whatsoever. I just loaded the old text file into Word ... and ... bingo! It increased over 4 times in size!

However, more recently, I wanted to go back to the old format. But you can't just take the Word file and save it backwards as a .txt file, which is what it was originally. Because of all this horrible, horrible code, it was an effing mess.

So I went back to one of the last times the file was a .txt file (around 2017) and decided to convert the whole thing back by just reconstructing it from the old file (most of which had not changed) and the new stuff which had been added since. Easy, you think? NOT!

This was going to take me a few hours, but it took a few days. Anyway, the whole business, which I really don't want to talk about any more, is finished, so take a look at the new (sort of), revamped main page -- http://www.fiveohomepage.com

Maybe there is some stuff there you were blissfully unaware of.

If anything there doesn't work or doesn't seem right, be sure and let me know!

Honestly I don’t know what changed. The site looks the same to me.

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    I didn't intend the page to visually have some massive remake, as you can tell by my sarcastic reference above.

The changes were mostly for my own benefit to make it easier to deal with modifying the page.

I did add one section and cleaned up some of the links which were no longer working.

Thread Information