Thread: "The Box" and "Charlie Swanson"

During the thread on "The Bomber And Mrs. Moroney" I offered the theory that the name change of "Thad Vaughn" from "And They Painted Daisies On His Coffin" to "Joey Collins" was deliberately done to avoid anything that might have required permission from John D.F. Black the original author of "Daises" who had nothing to do with "Moroney". In a similar vein, we have the matter of "Carl Swanson" in S1's "Six Kilos" suddenly becoming "Charlie Swanson" in "The Box" even though they are played by the same actor, Gerald S. O'Loughlin but are aired out of film order sequence.

Well, I have just gotten a copy of the final shooting script for "The Box" and it reveals something that again untangles the snarl that like with the name change of Thad Vaughn to Joey Collins reveals a case not of stupidity by the producers but a clear attempt to sufficiently muddle things up so another writer, in this case Meyer Dolinsky the credited writer of "Six Kilos" wouldn't have to grant permission or get any kind of fee. The final shooting script by John D.F. Black for "The Box" reveals the character's name is supposed to be "Charlie HERROLD" but a note on the first page says, "Change the name of Charlie Herrold to Charlie SWANSON throughout" (emphasis original).

This is my theory on what happened:

1-Black wrote "The Box" without intending for the Charlie character to have any connection to a character from "Six Kilos", an episode he had nothing to do with.

2-Gerald S. O'Loughlin may have been signed originally for just "The Box" but then perhaps was persuaded to do "Six Kilos" as well in what amounted to a smaller part comparatively speaking and because both episodes were filmed sequentially it would have been easy for him to stick around to do two episodes.

3-With O'Loughlin cast they decided to give his "Box" character the same last name as his "Six Kilos" character, so that some people at home might assume it was the same character but by making the first name different and giving no explicit references to the events of "Six Kilos" they probably felt they'd covered their bases legally. Perhaps the decision to then air "The Box" before "Six Kilos" and shove that episode to the end of the season was another deliberate move to further muddy the waters and prevent Dolinsky from saying, "Hey, you used my character!"

Whatever the explanation, I think it again is another case of how these kind of inconsistencies that suggest stupidity on the part of the producers may have been quite deliberate in nature.

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    Interesting...

I have my own theories about these two episodes as mentioned in my anal-ysis:

=========

[From "Box" review...]

"Six Kilos," now the 22nd show, was originally 18th in production order, before this one, which was 21st, now 16th, and before "Six Kilos."

One of the four major characters in "Six Kilos" is Carl Swanson, an "expert electrician," part of a safecracking team played by O'Loughlin. At the end of "Six Kilos," Swanson is shot by that episode's villain Margi (Antoinette Bower). The episode wraps up and we are not told of his fate, but in "The Box" we find him, having survived, again a major character, now in Oahu State Prison under the name of Charlie Swanson.

In other words, Swanson is in jail in this episode before he is busted and sent to jail in "Six Kilos," which is now later in broadcast order.

In an interview with the Archive of American Television (available on YouTube), Gavin MacLeod says because his previous appearance as Big Chicken in S01E05 was such a smash success, the producers told him, "We want to write another one for you at the end of the season [emphasis mine]." So it was really intended that Swanson should be in jail because of "Six Kilos," and "The Box" would have appeared after that show.

See also the discussion for S01E21, "Not That Much Different" and S01E22, "Six Kilos," below.

==========

[From S01E21 discussion]

There are hints of homosexuality between West and Julian when Horvath confronts West with the letter the latter wrote to Julian. West refers to his "affection" for Julian, adding later "I loved him," holding the letter up to his face as if he is kissing or smelling it.

I suspect that the homosexual relationship in this show was originally played up more, and the bigwigs at CBS told the production team to dial it back. In the episode "The Box" earlier this season there is a reference to "homosexuals" in prison which was probably pretty rank enough for the era when Five-O was broadcast. Perhaps this stuff was edited out at the last minute and the script revised, which is why it is such a mess.

It is also possible that this gay angle was responsible for changing the order of episodes close to the end of the season (this is my theory).

Consider the following. In production order, "The Box" and "Not That Much Different" were separated by only one show. Both had "homosexual" references.

In broadcast order, "The Box" and "Not That Much Different" were separated by four episodes. Not a lot, but perhaps the best that could be done by the time the broadcast order was determined. Moving "The Box" around in this manner actually screwed things up, because in "Six Kilos" there is a character named Swanson who is shot and wounded, and he later appears in "The Box." In production order, these two episodes were in correct sequence. But after "The Box" was moved to episode 16, Swanson, who was shot at the end of "Six Kilos" is first in prison in "The Box" where he would likely be staying for a long time.

PRODUCTION ORDER:

Six Kilos #18
    The Big Kahuna #19
    One for the Money #20
    The Box #21
    Face of the Dragon #22
    Not That Much Different (last produced episode) #23

BROADCAST ORDER:

The Box #16
    One For The Money #17
    Along Came Joey #18
    Once Upon A Time, Parts I & II #19 & #20
    Not That Much Different #21
    Six Kilos #22
    The Big Kahuna #23

==========

My review of Six Kilos (S01E22) has a copy of the “final draft script” of that show…

Mr. Mike
    Not That Much Different is a rather weak Season 1 episode. I think you may be right about the homosexual angle in the episode being played down or written out. There's holes in the episode and not 1 of the better episodes. I think the episode would have been better if they had focused on the General's enemies or haters half the episode and then McG having 1 of his brainstorms. Shifting to the young group. It would make sense Five-O had brought in 1 or 2 guys who were vocal or threatened the General in the past. Put them through the Five-O washing machine for a cycle or two and later focus on young Carol's group with Horvath and West. I did like the mock trial on stage as they tried to figure out who killed Julian.

Good initial discussion about The Box and Six Kilos. When I first purchased the Season 1 DVD years ago, it would make sense that Swanson was imprisoned for his role in Six Kilos and then The Box we see Swanson again. I don't understand why the episode order was changed. Hawaii Five-O was only in its 1st season. It's possible Six Kilos would make a more interesting and powerful finale at the end of the season. Jack Lord also has a James Bond kind of cool in the episode. He played in the early Bond movie. Something memorable to ensure Hawaii Five-O would earn a renewal for Season 2. It's interesting to discuss. I wonder what some of the other Classic HFO forum regulars think. JC

I don't understand why you are suggesting that "the General's enemies" should have been involved in this show. The presence of the general really had little to do with the episode. His appearance at the beginning was merely an excuse for the peaceniks to demonstrate and for the assassination of one of their members by one of their own for reasons which had little to do with the general, whose presence was basically a cover-up for the killing.

As far as Swanson in Six Kilos/The Box was concerned, there is a reference in The Box to the "trial" of Swanson which resulted in him going to jail. Prior to going into the lion's den, McGarrett asks Danno, "You remember Swanson from the trial. You figure him to back down?" Danno replies, "Never, no way." The stern prison warden adds, "He's gone too far to back down now. He has a 24-karat hard head."

Mr. Mike
    Thanks for the feedback. I remember early in the episode when Julian was shot and killed near the General. McG wasn't sure who's the intended target. The General or Julian. It would have been more interesting to see HFO bring in those who threatened the General about the War. Maybe, some threatening letters directed to him or other demonstrators who were verbally threatening. It seemed the General as the real target was quickly brushed off and focusing on the Peace Group. I always like when HFO brings in some colorful suspects. Enjoy your viewpoints. You have a unique perspective watching HFO from the original episodes and later in syndication. Also, now in the HFO DVD Series. Some of those younger, I barely remember some Season 11 and 12 episodes. Started watching the syndicated episodes in the later 1980's. I also enjoyed the little post you wrote on how you discover new things on the rewatches. I was watching Murder Eyes Only a 4 Star episode. There was the moment at the restaurant where Miss Bissell shows McG the picture. The Lt. also had a similar picture. Where would you place Murder Eyes Only in a Top 20 or Top 50 episodes list? JC

Look who is in "The Box"!! See https://fiveohomepage.com/walteromori/thebox.htm

Name:  thebox.png
Views: 1383
Size:  518.2 KB
    Last edited by Mr. Mike; 04-23-2022 at 09:11 AM.

John, as far as Murder -- Eyes Only is concerned, considering its current rating is 3 stars and there are 31 4-star shows in my latest ratings and 38 3.5-star shows, it wouldn't be in either the top 20 or top 50.

The rating seems to have dropped only recently (it was formerly 4 stars). I think it went down during my re-view of the entire series which took about 2½ years from 2018 on, and this was one of the last shows which I watched again.

I don't spend a lot of time talking about why this rating went down in the new review -- probably this had to do with the fantasy elements of the show and the improbability of the hypnosis techniques. I think it might qualify as a 3½-star show if I watched it again. There are some good things about it, especially the spectacular beginning of the show and Donna Mills.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time to deal with this at the moment.

Great comments Mr. Mike. I remember you had it at 4 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ before. Murder Eyes Only. I found something new in this episode. Years back I think on your forum, I discussed on McGarrett throwing the papers package through the window. It really was lucky the window 🪟 broke through. I noticed watching it in the week...There sounds like something heavier in the package or something metallic. It breaks through the window with force. Don't see how the papers or the package could have broken through the window. I would have to look back in the forum archives. Some good discussion about it similar to the paint can and trail of paint in Rest In Peace Somebody.

Was very impressed with Murder Eyes Only the outstanding photography and story. They also effectively utilized the US NAVY and military throughout the episode. McGarrett doing his 2 weeks Reserve Duty working on the case also was a nice touch. Donna Mills also was a favorite of mine in the episode. There was good writing as you aren't sure if she was involved or not. Until you see Wo Fat. I will also agree that Yesterday Died... and Honor Is An Unmarked Grave deserve the highest rating. I upgraded these 2 episodes a year or two ago.

Thread Information