Thread: Fools Die Twice at 50

Last night (yes, I'm a day late) 50 years ago, CBS aired S05E06 "Fools Die Twice".

The main villain in the episode is Jack Gulley (Clu Gulager) who is a super smart computer programmer who likes nothing more than jerking McGarrett's chain. He puts Five-O on a wild goose chase by phoning in a tip that a military payroll is going to be hijacked/heisted.

Three robbers, one of which is Kira Johnson (Michael Conrad) who has done a stint in prison thanks to McGarrett. When the robbers discover they've been set up by Gulley, they try to escape via the military helicopter and the Army personnel in the office and the helicopter. Danno ends the escape by sniping Johnson, putting the criminal in the hospital. The doctors are amazed Johnson is still alive because he took so many bullets in the prior shoot out.

As Five-O is dealing with the would-be robbers, Gulley kidnaps Dr. Frank Clapton (Albert Harris). Gulley is shopping Dr. Clapton to several bidders, including the Russians/Soviets and Chinese. Jonathan Kaye (Bill Edwards) tells McGarrett the US government will play whatever Gulley wants - in this case, diamonds.

While McGarrett works with a diamond dealer in Honolulu and signs paperwork to pay for them, Johnson escapes the hospital to find Gulley. He dies at Gulley's girlfriend's (Anita Alberts) apartment.

While that be one way Five-O can track down Gulley, they do so with a piece of equipment overnighted from LA. This is due to McGarrett taping his calls including those from Gulley. There is a background noise that can't be determined alone. It's an engine by the abandoned minesweeper Gulley has called his own and where he was holding Dr. Clapton. McGarrett surprises Gulley after the jerk returns to the minesweeper only to find his hostage is gone.

Mr. Mike does a far better job here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log5.htm#102

This isn't one of my favorites but there are some cool points.

The first is the German shepherd Gulley uses to retrieve the diamonds from McGarrett and company. It was certainly inventive on how to get the payment!

Danno proves his a major sharpshooter in this episode. He took Johnson down fairly quickly.

For the sharp-eyed viewers: the lineup on the street where McGarrett talks to the robbers through the bullhorn is the subject of one of the photos in Angie Walker's (Lara Parker) apartment in S12E17 "A Bird In Hand...".

Other than that, I could take or leave this episode. I know other opinions are different and that's okay.

Happy 50th "Fools Die Twice"!!!!

Personally I’d take this episode over “Jinn Who Clears the Way”. The story was more inventive and Clu Gulager is always good as a baddie.

Thread Information