Thread: Perry Mason show in Hawaii

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    There is an episode of Perry Mason which takes place in Hawaii. And it has a connection to Descent of the Torches, the Classic season 10 episode.

I watched this Mason show and did anal-ysis of it, with the result my review of that show is longer than the one for Descent, ugh!

Check it out:

https://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log10.htm#219

I actually saw a good chunk of that episode. It was on Me-Tv a few weeks back. I’m not really a Perry Mason fan (except for the late 80s/early 90s TV movies) but somehow I just stumbled on this episode. I would have kept going but what caught my attention was the sign for Hanauma Bay and the jeep taking a turn to go down to the bay. Clearly this was the actual location. Not something shot in L.A. with some bad rear projection of Hanauma Bay. So I was intrigued and kept watching. Not a bad episode overall. But again… I’m not really a fan of the show so I just watched for some Hawaiian scenery. This would have been just a few years after Elvis in BLUE HAWAII made Hanauma Bay famous. So of course they had to film there. Love that spot! Been there few times myself.

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    There is a similar sign (which seemed aimed at tourists) to the one for Hanauma Bay when Paul Drake is outside the Ali Iolani building as well. It's obvious that the producers sent William Hopper to Hawaii, but not Raymond Burr. There are other process shots than the ones mentioned in my review like when Mason and Drake are outside Jarvis Logan's house, you can see such a shot behind them of the beach area. By the way, IMDb says one of the filming locations was Magic Castle - 7001 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood, these days an entertainment venue. Was this Logan's house? If you look up old photos of this location via Google, it doesn't match up.

Thread Information