Tonight 50 years ago, CBS began airing perhaps the best Five-O episodes. We begin with S05E09, "'V' For Vashon: The Son".

It opens with a hotel robbery by three young thugs. They're led by Chris Vashon (Robert Drivas), son of Honore (Harold Gould) and grandson of Dominick (Luther Adler). Chris is looking to make a name for himself by making his father flip out. The robberies are just for kicks.

Five-O, McGarrett in particular, has been looking for a way to bring down the mighty Vashon empire. These robberies where little things, such as cigarette lighters, are being taken and fenced provide the way for Five-O to begin draining "the cess pool." They line up witnesses, track the fenced goods, and hand prosector John Manicote (Glen Cannon) a pretty air-tight case.

In the meantime after Chris is arrested, Honore gets on the phone with his 'fixer' Tosaki (Kwan Hi Lim) who bribes the witnesses with trips, new jobs and buying businesses. The air-tight case evaporates with Chirs ecstatic about the proceedings. Dominick, however, is thoroughly unimpressed to the point of slapping Chris in the courtroom after everyone has left.

Chris pushes his luck by planning yet another robbery. But this time, Five-O knows about it due to wire-tapping everything Vashon in sight. When Chris and his buddies strike, Five-O and HPD are there. In the end, Chris and McGarrett exchange gunshots, fatally wounding Chris. He dies in his family's driveway before McGarrett and Danno arrive. Honore swears revenge on McGarrett as the episode ends.

Mr. Mike does a great job with this exceptional episode. It's here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log5.htm#105

I will admit, I'm not all gaga on this episode. However, it's reputation for being one of the best of the series is not wrong.

Everything is solid in this episode. Chris is a great character and every time I rewatch, I want to slap him myself. He's self-centered, wants for nothing and is a total jerk! He treats his friends like garbage and strangers even worse. Drivas did an excellent job in this role.

Luther Adler is also exceptional. Dominick still holds great power and Adler handled the character wonderfully. He's definitely not a man to cross, even if you're family.

Then there's poor Honore, caught between the two. He's trying to legitimize the Vashon name but the reputation of hundreds of corpses hung up in back rooms all over Honolulu does not help his cause. Unfortunately, he loses a son in the end.

And to think this is only the start!

Happy 50th, "'V' For Vashon: The Son"!!