Thread: And So It Begins...50 years ago

Tonight 50 years ago, CBS began airing perhaps the best Five-O episodes. We begin with S05E09, "'V' For Vashon: The Son".

It opens with a hotel robbery by three young thugs. They're led by Chris Vashon (Robert Drivas), son of Honore (Harold Gould) and grandson of Dominick (Luther Adler). Chris is looking to make a name for himself by making his father flip out. The robberies are just for kicks.

Five-O, McGarrett in particular, has been looking for a way to bring down the mighty Vashon empire. These robberies where little things, such as cigarette lighters, are being taken and fenced provide the way for Five-O to begin draining "the cess pool." They line up witnesses, track the fenced goods, and hand prosector John Manicote (Glen Cannon) a pretty air-tight case.

In the meantime after Chris is arrested, Honore gets on the phone with his 'fixer' Tosaki (Kwan Hi Lim) who bribes the witnesses with trips, new jobs and buying businesses. The air-tight case evaporates with Chirs ecstatic about the proceedings. Dominick, however, is thoroughly unimpressed to the point of slapping Chris in the courtroom after everyone has left.

Chris pushes his luck by planning yet another robbery. But this time, Five-O knows about it due to wire-tapping everything Vashon in sight. When Chris and his buddies strike, Five-O and HPD are there. In the end, Chris and McGarrett exchange gunshots, fatally wounding Chris. He dies in his family's driveway before McGarrett and Danno arrive. Honore swears revenge on McGarrett as the episode ends.

Mr. Mike does a great job with this exceptional episode. It's here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log5.htm#105

I will admit, I'm not all gaga on this episode. However, it's reputation for being one of the best of the series is not wrong.

Everything is solid in this episode. Chris is a great character and every time I rewatch, I want to slap him myself. He's self-centered, wants for nothing and is a total jerk! He treats his friends like garbage and strangers even worse. Drivas did an excellent job in this role.

Luther Adler is also exceptional. Dominick still holds great power and Adler handled the character wonderfully. He's definitely not a man to cross, even if you're family.

Then there's poor Honore, caught between the two. He's trying to legitimize the Vashon name but the reputation of hundreds of corpses hung up in back rooms all over Honolulu does not help his cause. Unfortunately, he loses a son in the end.

And to think this is only the start!

Happy 50th, "'V' For Vashon: The Son"!!

You seem to have nothing but high praise for this episode so I’m just curious why you say you’re not gaga over this one. Lol. Or do you just mean it’s not as strong as the next 2 in the Vashon chapter? In some ways I think I actually prefer this one to “The Patriarch”. Here you get all 3 Vashons on the screen whereas in the last one it’s just Dominick. Though Old Dom (or is it Old Nick?) is definitely my favorite Vashon.

Incredible episode! Many memorable moments in "V" For Vashon: The Son. Chris utilizes the Classic Vashon Ring "V" on his victims robbing Hotels. Leaves a visible V in the cheek. It's strange Chris would rob these places. As Honore his Father has stated, he has everything cars, money, you name it. Love the courtroom scene. Chris gets acquitted on the charges as the witnesses suffer from faulty memory, paid off, or disappear and can't be located for trial. Chris doesn't listen to Nick even though he receives a shot to the face from his Grandfather. His 2 accomplices are paid off too but return later for 1 big score. The last Hotel scene was done well. The 3 guys work together placing stolen items in the pillowcases. Outstanding writing at the end...The gravely wounded Chris drives back to the Vashon residence and expires with his head hitting the horn. Classic Line: McGarrett Dies! Definitely 4 stars ⭐⭐ ⭐⭐ out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐. 2 small nicks for me. 1. The Douglas fake name. Don't understand why his apartment would be in the Douglas name. 2. I'm amazed Chris gravely wounded could drive off without 1 of the many officers around to catch him. They knew his car and he had to drive off sometime. Bobbi does an excellent work here highlighting this Vashon episode. JC

Originally Posted by ringfire211 View Post
    You seem to have nothing but high praise for this episode so I’m just curious why you say you’re not gaga over this one. Lol. Or do you just mean it’s not as strong as the next 2 in the Vashon chapter?
    It's not my cup of tea but I can recognize a well done episode. As Mr.Mike says, this one has it all.

Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    Originally Posted by ringfire211 View Post
    You seem to have nothing but high praise for this episode so I’m just curious why you say you’re not gaga over this one. Lol. Or do you just mean it’s not as strong as the next 2 in the Vashon chapter?
    It's not my cup of tea but I can recognize a well done episode. As Mr.Mike says, this one has it all.
    Sorry I don’t mean to be a pest (I sound like Columbo lol) but what do you mean it’s not your cup of tea? Not into organized crime stories? Just one more question… lol… what’s your cup of tea?

This V For Vashon: The Son would fit the criteria of the perfect episode thread that was started some months ago. I liked how Honore tried to legitimize himself as a businessman. Chris says he's a hypocrite. Michael Corleone does a similar thing in the Godfather. One of the Vashon Girls later will be in Deadly Doubles and Horoscope For Murder now a woman age. I like that actress but can't remember her name. Chris should have heeded old Nick's advice. McGarrett was smarter and wiser the next time around. It was an incredible ending have Chris shot by McGarrett, driving quickly away, and expiring with Honore by his side. Very good writing!!! Jumpstarting the next 2 in the trilogy. JC

I like the episodes that delve into the personal side a bit. Not so much so where it takes over the episode, but those hints giving more substance to the characters.

One of my 'go-to' episodes to watch is "Blood Money Is Hard To Wash". While it doesn't give us a lot of hints into backgrounds, there's snark for days and the team shows us how tight they are. Those are the kind of episodes I really enjoy.

The organized crime stories, I can take or leave.

Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
    I like the episodes that delve into the personal side a bit. Not so much so where it takes over the episode, but those hints giving more substance to the characters.

One of my 'go-to' episodes to watch is "Blood Money Is Hard To Wash". While it doesn't give us a lot of hints into backgrounds, there's snark for days and the team shows us how tight they are. Those are the kind of episodes I really enjoy.

The organized crime stories, I can take or leave.
    Well, “Blood Money” is an organized crime story. So I guess you’ll take that one

But I see what you’re saying. There’s a lot of snarkiness in that episode and Dane Clark is particularly good as Victor Jovanko (love that last name!). His scenes with McG are filled with sarcasm and disdain, similar to Connors in “Which Way Did They Go?” or HRH in “Paperhangers”. I take it that you enjoy a bit of humor in your episodes. But it’s not just Jovanko. His torpedo Augie (Terry Kiser) is also a memorable and funny character! It’s a great episode for sure. My #5 for season 9.

Thread Information