Thread: Maggi Parker Interview

After she left Hawaii Five O, Maggi Parker worked for Abigail Kawananakoa, a descendant of Hawaiian royalty who was very active in the community. Kawananakoa dies recently, and Parker, who is 96 (!) was interviewed by Hawaii News Now. She still seems very sharp.

https://tinyurl.com/3cjed2f3

No mention of Hawaii Five-O?

I guess that might explain why Maggi didn’t return for the second season. I guess she went to work for this heiress. But it all worked out for the best because Peggy Ryan was perfect as the secretary Jenny.

Originally Posted by ringfire211 View Post
    No mention of Hawaii Five-O?

I guess that might explain why Maggi didn’t return for the second season. I guess she went to work for this heiress. But it all worked out for the best because Peggy Ryan was perfect as the secretary Jenny.
    Agreed, if only in the sense that Peggy Ryan was a professional actress and Parker sometimes came across as kind of "community theatre." The bio on her IMDB page says she quit because the role didn't develop in the way she hoped. Some time ago, I found an interview she did with Marilyn Beck right around the the time of the show's premiere. She came across as witty and confident, so it's no surprise that, as Beck noted, people on the show had high hopes for her. She had high hopes for herself, too. She told Beck that she hoped this role would lead to a career as a professional actress. Ultimately, for whatever reason, the part never really developed into much. Ir anything it kind of evaporated. Ryan had more to do, so I'd have to think that the producers kind of lost confidence in Parker.

To be fair, Peggy Ryan didn’t have much to do either. Not sure what Maggi Parker was expecting from her secretary role. I mean the show was basically centered on Jack Lord. He was the STAR! This wasn’t an ensemble piece the way the Mission: Impossible series was. Folks complained that even the rest of the Five-O team didn’t have much to do, except say “yes boss” and “no boss”. You could say JMac, Zulu, Kam Fong, etc. were all underused to a great extent. Even if they did have an episode or two that centered on them. But that was pretty rare. So for a simple secretary role I definitely wouldn’t expect much. It’s actually funny because if this was the reboot you can bet they would write all sorts of contrived stories for the role. May gets kidnapped, May goes through a divorce, May falls in love, May is taken hostage, May goes through counseling, May gets killed off in spectacular fashion, etc. Let’s just be thankful we didn’t have nonsense like that on the old show.

Thread Information