I'm thinking By The Numbers is in my Top 5 underrated episodes. It's a very strong Season 1 episode 1968-1969. Excellent acting by all involved. It's great casting especially Anne Helm as Irene: An attractive young woman and smooth operator in the employ of 1 George Barker (Johnathan Lippe). He's an underrated villain type. Franklin's friend goes to Hotel Street to collect on his winning numbers ticket. He's very excited about collecting his winnings. Instead, the soldier is killed by John Lo who doesn't want to pay the soldier his money 💰. Franklin could have went with his friend to Hotel Street but did not. Later, Franklin becomes the prime
suspect in the death of another man. He was heavily drinking with Irene. Franklin spends most of the rest of the episode trying to hide and locate Irene. She would be his alibi as he was spending the time night and early AM drinking with her. There's also an excellent ending with Franklin surrounded by bad guys in the concert venue area. He uses his military training to defend himself until HFO arrives. It's very well-acted and well-written. By The Numbers and a few earlier episodes shine and show the early talent of the cast and show. Classic HFO 1 of the best crime dramas of all time. I would seriously think about giving By The Numbers 3.75 stars ⭐⭐⭐ .75 or 4 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐. A salute to Mr. Mike on another birthday 🎂 February 16. JC