The Miracle Man
    Number One with a Bullet
    Stringer
    A Very Personal Matter
    The Skyline Killer

SEASON 12
    A Lion in the Streets
    Who Says Cops Don't Cry?

Oh man. These are the decent ones from that part of the series. RIP, Mr. Janes.

For me Robert Janes marked a decline in the series. Not saying that he himself was responsible. Maybe that’s the direction things were headed in spite of him. The cop show landscape on TV shifted drastically by 1977 so maybe it was inevitable. Perhaps he was told that the scripts had to be more, how should I say it, bland? Or maybe less edgy and more “relaxed” and “breezy”? Perhaps if he was writing for the show in 1972 or 1973 his scripts would have been more in line with what we were getting at the time. We’ll never know. As it stands he came onboard at the start of season 10 at which point the show took a sharp turn downward in quality and creativity.

But perhaps I shouldn’t be too harsh. He did give us at least one EXCELLENT episode with “The Skyline Killer”. Dark and edgy, closer to something from season 6 than season 11.

Sorry to hear Robert Janes has passed. Another 1 of the great HFO 🌊 alumni who has went to Heaven. I liked most of his episodes. The Miracle Man was ahead of its time as we have seen other popular evangelists skeletons emerge in the late 1980's and 1990's. Number One With A Bullet might be my FAV later episode. 2 Mob factions escalating the war with Johnny Monroe & Yvonne in the middle trying to secure a record contract. The disco and the music scenes were well-choreographed. Sonny K's looked like a happening place. Lines and crowded dance floor. Shake Hands With The Man On The Moon was creative with the washed up Astronaut Wainwright. It's interesting what happens to the Astronauts after reaching that height and training for the mission. A Very Personal Matter was a thin script and average at best. However, the responsibility of a Doctor to his patients especially 1 under his or her care that dies...It was interesting to see from that standpoint. The episode paints itself into a corner quickly after the Doctor was cleared of any criminal wrongdoing by the board. I've liked The Skyline Killer after more watches. Would have loved to see the author and The Skyline Killer meet a few times to go over his early life and his motives for killing. It sure was suspenseful with McG and The Skyline Killer high on the crane. It would have been interesting if Hawaii Five-O 🌊 had 3-5 more years with some new team members investigating crimes. With or without McGarrett. The scripts had run stale after writing just about every kind of episode. Hawaii Five-O 🌊 spanned the Vietnam War to Disco. It sure was an incredible run. JC

Thread Information