Thread: Diamond at 50

Tonight 50 years ago, CBS aired S05E23 "The Diamond That Nobody Stole".

This episode begins with a cat burglar (Frank Trott) but the real focus is on a well-to-do family in Honolulu. Djebara (Eric Braeden) is married to Christina (Darrah Lau) and her mother, Madame Souvang (Beulah Quo), lives with them. Madame Souvang is obsessed with returning her family to former glory in Indochina as she a member of the royal family.

The family possesses an exotic diamond but the cat burglar finds a roll of film as well. Djebara is a mercenary for hire and he knows how to throw the cops off, including Five-O. But make no mistake, Djebara is out to make a buck with a huge deal with the Russians. The film is the schematic of a Polaris Missile being built by the US military.

However, things turn south for Djebara as he meets his end with an assassin's rifle at the Ala Moana Mall. Turns out, his mother-in-law, Madame Souvang, betrayed him in making her own deal with the Russians. McGarrett and gang stop the exchange and arrest both her and the Russian agent (John Stalker).

Mr. Mike does a much better job with his review and excellent gallery: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log5.htm#119

This is not one of my favorites. It's meh for me due to its very confusing storyline. With this airing in March 1973, Vietnam was still raging for the US. Indochina includes Vietnam and I'm assuming that's where Madame Souvang is trying to return to reclaim her throne. But I digress.

There's a lot going on here and it's, frankly, too much. What's the point? Did Djebara and the cat burglar have an original deal and the thief got greedy? Is Djebara spying for the Russians? How does his marriage to Christina fit in other than introducing us to Madame Souvang? Why take the diamond if the film was much more important? Mr. Mike rates this episode at 2 stars and that's fair.

Eric Braeden guested on Five-O multiple times. He was often cast as charismatic, cultured and sly. He was good in these roles and probably helped him land his most famous role as Victor Newman on "The Young and The Restless". As far as I know, he's still there after decades!

Happy 50th, "The Diamond That Nobody Stole"!!!

Bobbi

I think most Classic HFO 🌊 Fans would have this around 2 stars ⭐⭐. There's plenty of potential in this episode but it just fizzles at the conclusion. Could have been more interesting as a WO FAT episode. WO FAT trying to get his hands on the film and the Polaris Missile schematic. It should have ended when Djebara was shot and killed. Shot and killed expertly at the Mall. They tacked on the ending about Madame Souvang being involved. Brings the episode rating down. It would have been more believable if Souvang is making a few calls or we watch her meet a mysterious agent a few times. This Djebara appears to be very sharp. I think he would have checked the film again. It's like the writers were throwing around ideas how to end it effectively. That's how it could have ended with WO FAT or his Associate killing the Russian Agent and taking the film. Similar to the changing of the plates in F.O.B. Honolulu. Agree about Eric Braeden. I enjoyed his presence in the HFO episodes. He had an intelligence and sophistication about him. The Diamond 💎 That Nobody Stole 2 Stars ⭐⭐ out of 4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐. JC

I agree with Bobbi on this episode being kind of confusing, I didn't mind the twist at the end with the Mom being involved, but I was cloudy on what was going on from the get-go.

Thread Information