Thread: Location: Benny Kalua's nightclub in "Strangers in our own Land" (S01E02)

Aloha, and thanks for this great site! I've been a fan of the show forever, and just recently discovered the forum through Mr. Mike's excellent website; I'll quit yapping and get straight to my question:

Does anyone know the name of the restaurant/bar used as the filming location of Benny Kalua's nightclub in this episode?

I'm asking because I'm creating a Google Earth map with a lot of the filming and production locations, and I have just started rewatching the DVD sets with my wife (also a big fan of the show). We plan on visiting Oahu this October on our 35th wedding anniversary, and I want to hit (and photograph) as many of the still-existing locations as possible while we're there.

I've trolled the interwebs looking for information, but as of yet, I haven't had much luck tracking it down. If anyone can help with the location of the restaurant, I will be forever grateful.. and, I look forward to contributing to the forum.

Rob

Welcome to the forum! I don’t know the location of the club but I’m pretty sure I know the location of the house where Grace Willis lived. It’s just off Diamond Head Rd. down Ka’alawai Place. Should be at a dead end at the bottom of that street although when I was there in 2018 it looked like it changed down there quite a bit, both the houses and the street. Unless, the actual house was located somewhere else and not at the end of Ka’alawai Pl. But last time I watched the episode I didn’t notice any obvious cuts like they cut to a different location. It seemed pretty seemless to me, Danno turning off Diamond Head Rd. right onto Ka’alawai and then driving to the end of that road to Grace’s house. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks for the reply, ringfire211, and for the welcome.

I was looking at that location the other day on Google Earth, and to the best of what I can deduce, it does not appear to be the same house/structure at the end of Ka’alawai Pl. that Danny drove up to; as you said, it appears to have been greatly altered since 1967/8, or there was a completely different location used for those scenes.

As for the restaurant, I'll keep digging; it looked too much a 'perfect'/complicated build to have been dressed set construction, so I assumed that it was an actual place that was used for those scenes.

Rob

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    Too bad, because Danny Kaleikine, the guy who played Kamaki in Strangers in Our Own Land, Benny's employee who tried to knock off Wilson (who pretended to be "Grace Willis," who supposedly took the film at the airport), passed away in January of this year. He was a popular entertainer in Honolulu, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kaleikini. I'm sure he would have known where this club was.

Originally Posted by Ghostsoldier View Post
    Thanks for the reply, ringfire211, and for the welcome.

I was looking at that location the other day on Google Earth, and to the best of what I can deduce, it does not appear to be the same house/structure at the end of Ka’alawai Pl. that Danny drove up to; as you said, it appears to have been greatly altered since 1967/8, or there was a completely different location used for those scenes.

As for the restaurant, I'll keep digging; it looked too much a 'perfect'/complicated build to have been dressed set construction, so I assumed that it was an actual place that was used for those scenes.

Rob
    Yep the house definitely doesn’t look like the one in the show. So either there was a major altering (including the end of that street) or it was a different location.

Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Too bad, because Danny Kaleikine, the guy who played Kamaki in Strangers in Our Own Land, Benny's employee who tried to knock off Wilson (who pretended to be "Grace Willis," who supposedly took the film at the airport), passed away in January of this year. He was a popular entertainer in Honolulu, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kaleikini. I'm sure he would have known where this club was.
    That's sad news to hear... reading his bio, he was quite the guy; no doubt that he would have known the location.

Rob

Thread Information