Thread: FAV Classic HFO 🌊 Discussions

Over the years on the forum, we have had some excellent discussions on the episodes. Here are some of my favorites.

1. Rest In Peace, Somebody. The paint can and Cameron. Could Cameron have sloshed the amount of red paint on McGarrett's desk, in his office, trailing it down HFO 🌊 office hallway, down the steps, and down the street to the Governor's door 🚪. Also, some paint sloshed on the door itself. Remember the paint can wasn't an extra large size. It was a smaller can. I concluded that wasn't possible which shaved a little off of Rest In Peace Somebody's Final Grade. I would still give this episode 3.5 stars.

2. Deadly Persuasion. The amazing Stevens performed high-wire walking skills and utilized ropes to access Kern Industries. Entering through the roof and descending down. Stevens then dropped down from the ceiling and stole a volatile TZ-40 nerve gas. There were questions as a young CRMJ student that Stevens could possess these different skills or know about handling the volatile gas. I don't believe he could which marked down a little on Deadly Persuasion.

3. A Death In The Family. There was a good discussion about Chin Ho being killed off HFO in Season 10. Usually main characters weren't killed off. Why was Chin Ho murdered? How did that decision come about? Most of the answers were provided when some posters brought in Chin Ho interviews on that subject. It was very fascinating and interesting.

4. The incredible Top 10 Classic Hawaii Five-O 🌊 Greatest episodes. Classic HFO 🌊 had so many outstanding episodes. It could easily have 40 or 50 different episodes at the top of the list. I have Engaged To Be Buried at 1 for around 2 years but I recently changed it again to Highest Castle, Deepest Grave. It's always interesting to see HFO fans post their Top 10 of Classic HFO. Some episodes most agree are Top 10 quality. The Vashon Trilogy, Hookman, Draw Me A Killer, Highest Castle Deepest Grave. I think To Kill Or Be Kill is an outstanding episode. I believe the writers made the right decision to listen to the tape. It was very powerful. One of the most emotional scenes in the series.

5. My 6 Star ⭐ Rating System. Early in the forum, I presented my different 6 Star HFO episodes for the highest quality episodes. 5.5 and 5.0 and so on. There was good discussion about what receives the highest marks. An established 4 star system here. I made the right decision to confirm to the established 4 star system. It definitely makes you think in the 4 star system. You have to reserve 4 stars ⭐⭐⭐ ⭐ to the highest quality episodes.

6. Yesterday Died And Tomorrow Won't Be Born. This episode usually is in many Top 10 or Top 20 lists. Good discussion on this episode about McG surviving 3 shots at close range. Danno's outstanding work leading the investigation. Trinian Innocent or Guilty 15 years before getting out of prison. A few years ago, I bumped up Yesterday Died to the highest honor 4 stars ⭐⭐⭐ ⭐.
    JC

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    3. A Death In The Family. There was a good discussion about Chin Ho being killed off HFO in Season 10. Usually main characters weren't killed off. Why was Chin Ho murdered? How did that decision come about? Most of the answers were provided when some posters brought in Chin Ho interviews on that subject. It was very fascinating and interesting.
    From my report of the 1996 Convention:

When asked about his demise at the end of the tenth season in #238, A Death in the Family, Kam said that he originally wanted Chin Ho to "retire gracefully," and fought the idea of having his character murdered. There was even talk of the production company suing Kam for breaking his contract! Then someone told him that it was an honour if you were a regular in a TV show and you were knocked off ... this meant that no one else could play your character. Later Kam said it was a Hollywood superstition that "if one of the regulars leaves, the show falls down." Someone in the audience said, "Oh, this must mean that everything after the fourth season [when Zoulou left] was no good!"

Those first 6 seasons are a really full slate of "best of" type episodes. I've always liked Lewis Avery Filer, so Over 50 is high on all my lists, as well as Hookman and the Vashons. I think I have to large degree dismissed many of the later seasons as being below the high bar set by the earlier seasons. However, lately when I need my fix, I've re-watched some of the later episodes, and I'm glad that I've been doing that. It might be that my expectations have now been tempered a bit more maybe? One thing that keeps impacting me I think is the change in the background music in those later episodes - it just doesn't do the same thing for me as the earlier music. Some of these older episodes I haven't seen for so long they almost seem fresh, which is nice. One of those which fits that description is the Chin Ho Death in the Family episode - that one is next on my list.

Thread Information