Tonight 50 years ago, CBS aired S06E03, “Charter For Death”.

Nehemiah Persoff guest stars again as mobster Leo Paoli. He was deported to Corsica after being convicted of tax evasion in Youngstown, Ohio. The man is extremely protective of his daughter, Teresa (Jeannine Brown) and has no patience for his son-in-law Thomas Brown (Bert Convy). According to the Treasury Department, Paoli has $5 million squirreled away “somewhere”.

Problems arise immediately after the Coast Guard finds a pilotless sailboat in Honolulu Harbor, the Marie Céline. It’s up to Danno and Che Fong to put the pieces together since McGarrett finds himself in quarantine. Oh yeah, they’ve found bubonic plague on board!

Three dead crewmen were also found on board and while one had plague, they all died of other causes. Che explains the clothes found “in the other cabin” – two men suits and some women’s clothing. There were passengers on board and now they’re gone!

McGarrett confers with the governor about a potential lockdown of Oahu. The last thing anyone needs is the plague to spread every which way. That doesn’t sound familiar at all!!!

However, the passengers – Paoli and his “kids” – have made it to the island. Teresa is severely ill and eventually succumbs to the plague. Paoli is with her while Thomas is out getting a vaccine for her. That’s not going to work, which Brown’s island contacrt, Tamaki (Nephi Hannemann) finds out the hard way from Danno!

Brown returns to find Teresa dead and after having an argument with Paoli, Brown kills him. Stealing a bunch of keys, Brown takes off. Danno and the rest of Five-O catch up and Brown meets an awful end falling from a helicopter into the Pacific.

Mr. Mike does a way better job than I do. His review is here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log6.htm#123

This is an excellent episode, but not one of my favorites. However, I always enjoy watching Persoff in his various roles.

There is one scene that makes me cringe, feel really angry. It’s the mobile inoculation clinic. Who leaves used needles on a table!!?? Get real!! That is one sloppy nurse and it’s infuriating.

A highlight is that the Five-O team gets to spread their wings a bit and not just follow McGarrett’s lead. He does do a good job of directing traffic from his isolation cell though.

This is a fun show to watch and worth checking out.

Happy 50th, “Charter For Death”!!