Thread: Charter for 50 Years!

Tonight 50 years ago, CBS aired S06E03, “Charter For Death”.

Nehemiah Persoff guest stars again as mobster Leo Paoli. He was deported to Corsica after being convicted of tax evasion in Youngstown, Ohio. The man is extremely protective of his daughter, Teresa (Jeannine Brown) and has no patience for his son-in-law Thomas Brown (Bert Convy). According to the Treasury Department, Paoli has $5 million squirreled away “somewhere”.

Problems arise immediately after the Coast Guard finds a pilotless sailboat in Honolulu Harbor, the Marie Céline. It’s up to Danno and Che Fong to put the pieces together since McGarrett finds himself in quarantine. Oh yeah, they’ve found bubonic plague on board!

Three dead crewmen were also found on board and while one had plague, they all died of other causes. Che explains the clothes found “in the other cabin” – two men suits and some women’s clothing. There were passengers on board and now they’re gone!

McGarrett confers with the governor about a potential lockdown of Oahu. The last thing anyone needs is the plague to spread every which way. That doesn’t sound familiar at all!!!

However, the passengers – Paoli and his “kids” – have made it to the island. Teresa is severely ill and eventually succumbs to the plague. Paoli is with her while Thomas is out getting a vaccine for her. That’s not going to work, which Brown’s island contacrt, Tamaki (Nephi Hannemann) finds out the hard way from Danno!

Brown returns to find Teresa dead and after having an argument with Paoli, Brown kills him. Stealing a bunch of keys, Brown takes off. Danno and the rest of Five-O catch up and Brown meets an awful end falling from a helicopter into the Pacific.

Mr. Mike does a way better job than I do. His review is here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log6.htm#123

This is an excellent episode, but not one of my favorites. However, I always enjoy watching Persoff in his various roles.

There is one scene that makes me cringe, feel really angry. It’s the mobile inoculation clinic. Who leaves used needles on a table!!?? Get real!! That is one sloppy nurse and it’s infuriating.

A highlight is that the Five-O team gets to spread their wings a bit and not just follow McGarrett’s lead. He does do a good job of directing traffic from his isolation cell though.

This is a fun show to watch and worth checking out.

Happy 50th, “Charter For Death”!!

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    This episode has one of my favorite H50 music cues, you can hear it (plus some other stuff) here:

https://fiveohomepage.com/music/seas...-for-death.mp3

You can hear ALL of the music from the episode in the "MUSIC" section at the end of the review...

https://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log6.htm#123

I don’t remember this being a big favorite of Mr. Mike’s but he’s given it 4 stars. That’s more than Draw Me a Killer!!!!!

I’ll admit it’s gotten better as I’ve aged and is actually a pretty good episode (and better than the bubonic plague episode from season 1’s “Face of the Dragon”) but on the whole it’s still towards the bottom of season 6, only because it’s such a stellar season. Tricks are Not Treats and Try to Die on Time are probably the only other 2 that I would consider weaker episodes (maybe Killer at Sea too) but even those I find enjoyable enough.

CHARTER FOR DEATH 3 Stars ⭐⭐⭐ out of 4 Stars

Season 6 now and Bobbi's 50th Anniversary Series. I was surprised Mr. Mike rated Charter For Death a 4 Star ⭐⭐⭐⭐. Don't remember him mentioning Charter For Death like other 4 Star episodes ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Hookman & Nine Dragons. It has some interesting moments with McG placed in quarantine. He had been on the rat and plague-infested ship. It was also creative how Thomas slickly picked up a few vaccinations in his 🧥 after receiving the shot 💉. I think the image I remember from Charter For Death...A severely ill Teresa finally dying from the plague. It was amazing how they made her look horrible and suffering from the plague. That was excellent acting and writing. Later, Leo suffers symptoms from the plague. I remember him trying to spit on Thomas to give him the disease. When I watched this episode with my family years ago, I thought Thomas would escape. He falls from the helicopter 🚁 into the ocean 🌊.

Classic HFO 🌊 had a few episodes like Face Of The Dragon 🐉 and Three Dead Cows 🐄🐄🐄 on Makapuu that dealt with possible spread of disease. This Charter For Death had some new twists with McG placed in quarantine and Thomas receiving his innoculation. I would give Charter For Death 3 Stars ⭐⭐⭐. As some Classic HFO 🌊 fans on the forum have pointed out, Season 6 (1973-1974) was an excellent season. I have Season 6 2nd just behind Season 3. I would place Season 9 right behind Season 6. My FAV 3 Seasons would be: 1. Season 3🌊 2. Season 6 🌊3. Season 9🌊. Want to thank all the Classic HFO 🌊 fans that participate on the forum. Especially Bobbi's 50th Anniversary Series. Plenty of great work is used in reviewing the episodes. JC
    Last edited by John Chergi; 09-26-2023 at 10:35 PM.

Five-O Home Page Author Mr. Mike's Avatar
    Hmmm, Ringfire, I don't recall giving Charter 4 stars ... I think I gave it a high rating to draw people's attention to it, i.e., "this show is worthy of your attention."

It would definitely get 3, maybe 3˝.

I dunno how you feel about John Louisiana, that one I gave 4 to as well for similar reasons.

https://fiveohomepage.com/5-0log3.htm#57

The Late John Louisiana is a very strong episode so a 4 star rating for that one wouldn’t surprise me. It’s def head and shoulders above Charter for Death. Not even close.

Thread Information