Thread: 50 Years of Creepy Family

Tonight 50 years ago, CBS aired S06E04 “One Big Happy Family”.

I wouldn’t say “Happy”, it’s more “Creepy”.

One of the wildest episode in the entire series – it’s one solid blast from beginning to end. We meet the murderous, gross, and overly self-important Ferguson family. Sadie (Barbara Baxley) is the matriarch and the ringleader. She is a racist piece of crap who cares nothing about anyone else. Her husband is Sam (Slim Pickens) who literally executes the plans. They have a son Jeb (Bo Hopkins) married to Rosalie (Robyn Millan) and a daughter, Monica (Lynette Kim). Honestly, Monica is the only one with any sense even though she’s “slow”.

These people have left behind a serious blood trail on the mainland before arriving in Hawaii. They get dead-end jobs and after a few days kill their co-workers. They then steal from the dead. The whole thing is despicable. (Can you tell I dislike these characters a lot?)

Of course, Five-O gets involved when people are being killed on their islands. They finally nab the family when Monica tries to leave Hawaii with a phone book cover because the scene was stunning. Thanks to the airport police, Five-O hauls them all in. It only gets worse as Sadie explains their motivations of killing “strangers”. McGarrett is beyond stunned. The case is strong because Rosalie has had enough and turns on them all.

Mr. Mike does a great job in his review here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log6.htm#124

This is an excellent episode but not one of my favorites. I feel for Monica though and wonder what happened to her at the end of this escapade. She is the most innocent of the family and I hope she gets the real help she needs to flourish. Separating her from these jackasses is a good start!

These people are probably the worst of the criminals Five-O comes across as they have killed about 150 people according to dialogue. I have the feeling as other states reported in, the body count kept going up. It’s one of those shows where you’re glad the perpetuators get what’s coming to them!

Happy 50th, “One Big Happy Family”!!!

I hope they all got the electric ⚡️ chair. If anyone ever deserved it on this show it would certainly have to be this disturbed clan.

Notwithstanding Hawaii's lack of a death penalty, I'm sure McGarrett and the Governor would have gladly had them extradited to a state where they performed some of their other killings that still had the death penalty on the books. They are indeed perhaps the most disturbing of all killers in the 12 years of Five-O overall.

One Big Happy Family 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Out Of 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐. This One Big Happy Family is an intense and outstanding episode. The episodes focuses on the Fergusons...A family group of serial killers from the United States now in Hawaii. Ready to continue their senseless murders for pocket change and maybe a few hundred dollars. Jeb and Sam the Ferguson men search shops and stores looking for job vacancies like a dish washer or gas station attendant. They work for several days and then murder quickly whoever is in the vicinity. Taking coins and cash and whatever else. Leaving no witnesses alive. Rosalie, Jeb's wife, also provides information for the group. She is very attractive and easily finds a place of employment at the hair salon. Her body and looks excites a young salon operator. Thinking he was going to get some action, Rosalie has set up the man for murder. He's brutally killed by Jeb and Sam. Sadie, the mother, appears to be the leader of the group. She makes the important decisions like when it's time to move to next place, when to strike, when to leave, etc. Monica is the youngest of the Fergusons. She doesn't participate directly in the killings.

The Fergusons reign of terror is finally ended when they are apprehended at the airport. Amazingly, the Ferguson family have been suspected of 150 murders across the country. Moving quickly to different states and avoiding capture. When in McGarrett's office, the Fergusons don't express any remorse for their actions. The Fergusons most likely would serve life in prison in Hawaii or might earn Death Penalty sentences extradited to other U.S. states for prosecution. One Big Happy Family is a chilling and unforgettable episode. Jeb, Sam, Sadie, and Rosalie are memorable characters and are finally apprehended in Hawaii. I have the understanding this was based on a true story. These were some of the most prolific serial killers in history. Another great Bobbi 50th Anniversary episode review. JC
    Last edited by John Chergi; 10-04-2023 at 01:34 AM.

Yes, it was based on a true story. I don't remember the details, but it a husband, wife, daughter, and son-in-law that went around commiting these crimes. Someone else on Mike's guestbook posted information about it.

Thread Information