Thread: 50 Years Ago, the Torch

Tonight 50 years ago, CBS aired S06E05 "The Sunday Torch".

Of course, it's not Sunday today but it is Canadian Thanksgiving - so Happy Thanksgiving!

This episode is a little convoluted, so I'm going to link to Mr. Mike's review right off the bat. It's here: https://www.fiveohomepage.com/5-0log6.htm#125

The bottom line of the show is that a pharmaceutical head Otis Klepper (Lyle Bettger) is in big trouble. He has a huge military contract but the auditors are about to lay down the hammer and put him out of business due to multiple cases of hepatitis from his cheap methods. He hires a "torch", Porter (Tom Simcox), to burn the place down. However, they need to set up someone to take the fall. Enter Ray Stokely (Michael Anderson, Jr.) who has had a past of arson.

Honolulu is on guard at the start with fires being started every Sunday. Both HFD and HPD are on full alert with the Five-O team in the mix. They stop one guy (Lippy Espinda) who broke into a school to finish a project but forgot his key. This is a mere distraction, however, when a major building goes up.

At the real fire, Porter films everyone in attendance and that's how Stokely is singled out. A careful frame-up happens with Klepper's wife (Jo Pruden) who goes as far as locking Stokely up so he doesn't have an alibi when the factory catches fire.

Things unravel quickly once Five-O uncovers Klepper's problems. Stokely is brought in to identify Mrs. Klepper, who wore a blonde wig at the time of her encounter with Stokely. Klepper then breaks down and tells McGarrett everything about Porter and the plan to burn the plant. Porter is arrested on his way to the airport because the firebug in him can't resist fire.

This is an okay episode for me. I always enjoy watching Michael Anderson, Jr. in his guest appearances. His psychiatrist, Dr. Bishop (Jean Tarrant) defends Stokely to McGarrett adamantly multiple times. Turns out, she's right! I don't think we ever see McGarrett apologize to her, but I could be wrong.

There is a cool opening sequence with the car making a u-turn right now with Danno as a passenger. There are people posted everywhere to keep their eyes peeled for smoke. It's nice to see the Five-O team right there in the mix!

Happy 50th, "The Sunday Torch"!!

The Sunday Torch 2 1/2 Stars ⭐⭐ 1/2 Stars Out Of 4 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐. Solid episode in the HFO 🌊 catalog. I might raise it to 3 Stars later ⭐⭐⭐. A pyromaniac Ray Stokely is set up expertly to be arrested and prosecuted for a series of Sunday arson fires. HFO works long hours during the week. It's very selfish of the arsonist to cut into the HFO teams Sunday off time. Savage Sunday was another Sunday where HFO had to find criminals after the armory heist.

Pressure is building as the elusive arsonist continues his Sunday blazes. Otis Klepper believes he has the perfect solution to the auditors about to find the hepatitis-causing medication 💊 he is distributing. Hire an arsonist "torch" Porter to start Sunday fires. Later, Porter will torch the pharmaceutical distribution place to make it as 1 of the unlucky places targeted by the arsonist. With the medicine and place reduced to ashes and ruins, the audit cannot go forward. We have seen something similar in Beautiful Screamer. Walter murders a few friends in his circle ⭕ of friends to throw off the police. Making it look like a serial killer. He wanted to kill his wife later to make it appear she was also part of the serial killer's murders.

Stokely is set up expertly for The Sunday Torches and has an arson record. He is also seen in the crowd watching the fires 🔥on film. Cans of Teffrin at Stokely's place appears to seal his fate. The perfect frame starts to unravel when Stokely recognizes Mrs. Klepper. She was wearing a blonde wig when meeting him. McG through the investigation learns about the impending audit of Klepper's pharmaceutical place. Klepper admits to hiring Porter "The Sunday Torch" and the burning of his own place. McG and the HFO 🌊 team create a fictitious looking fire 🔥 as Porter heads to the airport. Porter cannot resist and stops to watch the fire🔥. Instead, there really is no fire. HFO 🌊 creatively used fire extinguishers like they were putting out a fire. Porter is apprehended ending the Sunday Torches. Mr. Mike makes a good point about time compression in this episode and others. Porter should be at the airport and ready for his departure. He should escape before HFO arrives 🌊. I remember watching this many years ago thinking how they would catch Porter in time. The fake fire was very creative. That sure was great writing. Agree with Bobbi on Michael Anderson Jr. I always enjoy his HFO 🌊 appearances. JC

This is a very good episode, another winner from season 6. I typically like arson stories and I’ve seen something similar on Streets of San Fran, T.J. Hooker, Hunter, etc. Most cop shows did arson stories. But this one is definitely the best of the bunch. Very clever and engaging. And you really do feel for poor Ray Stokely’s character. The guy really gets put through a ringer. Good acting by Michael Anderson Jr.

Thread Information